Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How do I remove the Rear Axles

Old 06-05-2008, 07:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
A length of stout chain and a strong arm is all you need. Get about 36" of chain, attach each end to a wheel stud. Get plenty of slack in the chain and snatch that puppy right on out. Works everytime.
Sweet . . . and a good idea too. Do you have a catcher ready to handle that fastball?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCJeeper
Sweet . . . and a good idea too. Do you have a catcher ready to handle that fastball?
Watch your feet!
Old 06-05-2008, 08:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RCJeeper

Naw, I just stick my hand in front of it and catch it. You can pull transmission front pumps the same way, too. Just take two longer bolts and screw in opposite sides so it doesn't go flyin across the room.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:07 PM
JK Newbie

Cool Axles are out

So I went to my local auto parts store and rented a slide hammer and axle puller flange. Three bangs and they popped right out. Thanks David.

Now I get to put it all back together tommorrow.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:14 PM
JK Newbie

Wink

Originally Posted by davebloomer
Im no help but WOW wish i had the know how or cahonees to replace my own gears.
It's really not that hard at all. I think allot of people make it sound harder than it is, the mechanics that charge $1000 labor want it to sound like vodoo.

It takes a couple of special tools, and it's back breaking. Everything inside a differential is heavy.

Thanks for all the help guys, this forum is great!!!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 09:22 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesos1
It's really not that hard at all. I think allot of people make it sound harder than it is, the mechanics that charge $1000 labor want it to sound like vodoo.

It takes a couple of special tools, and it's back breaking. Everything inside a differential is heavy.

Thanks for all the help guys, this forum is great!!!!!

RIght, and you know....ALOT of the time you can actually get away with using the SAME exact shims with the new gears as the old and it won't make a SOUND.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:02 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by mikesos1
So I went to my local auto parts store and rented a slide hammer and axle puller flange. Three bangs and they popped right out. Thanks David.

Now I get to put it all back together tommorrow.
we're the shafts ok?

Quick Reply: How do I remove the Rear Axles