Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How do Detroit Lockers work on the front of a 2014 JK?

Old 02-24-2016, 04:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How do Detroit Lockers work on the front of a 2014 JK?

I'm considering Detroit Locker for the front axle (Dynatrack HD 44), I have read that for some reason these are no good in the rear of a 2012+ JK because they make the stability control system go into fits. But I would assume that the Detroit would remain unlocked while the transfer case is disconnected in 2WD, but as soon as you went into the woods and selected 4WD, the Detroit would provide lock-o-plenty. Is the Detroit fine for the front axle and not going to start battles with my 2014 computer systems?

I'm also strongly considering the True Trac for the G2 Dana 60 rear for this 2014 Willys Wheeler. I would suspect that the brake lock differential's braking action would ensure that even with a wheel in the air that the TrueTrac would always transfer power over to the tire still attached to the earth without me needing to manually apply foot brakes to give resistance?
Old 02-24-2016, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have an Aussie locker in my front D30 axle and depending on how hard left or right I turn will determine if the locker engages. When I am in 4wd it is locked and you can hear it engaging and disengaging.

Is the Detroit locker a lunchbox locker?

Here is an article that might help out.

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Dynatrac Presents - Lockers 101

R/
Will
Old 02-24-2016, 04:49 AM
JK Freak

What year is your JK?

The Detroit is an auto-locker, not a selectable. It is a complete carrier that you buy, not an addition or modification to an open carrier.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by larry0071
What year is your JK?

The Detroit is an auto-locker, not a selectable. It is a complete carrier that you buy, not an addition or modification to an open carrier.
2011 JKUS. no other modification was required. I had my Aussie locker installed when the Jeep was regeared. The Aussie locker replaces the spider gears and becomes the carrier. The only reason I went with the Aussie over the Detroit was my gear guy recommended it.

R/
Will
Old 02-24-2016, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by larry0071
I'm considering Detroit Locker for the front axle (Dynatrack HD 44), I have read that for some reason these are no good in the rear of a 2012+ JK because they make the stability control system go into fits. But I would assume that the Detroit would remain unlocked while the transfer case is disconnected in 2WD, but as soon as you went into the woods and selected 4WD, the Detroit would provide lock-o-plenty. Is the Detroit fine for the front axle and not going to start battles with my 2014 computer systems? I'm also strongly considering the True Trac for the G2 Dana 60 rear for this 2014 Willys Wheeler. I would suspect that the brake lock differential's braking action would ensure that even with a wheel in the air that the TrueTrac would always transfer power over to the tire still attached to the earth without me needing to manually apply foot brakes to give resistance?
Can't go wrong with either one. Get what your gut or wallet tells you.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:17 AM
JK Freak

I know a Detroit is a huge no no in the 2012+ rear axle, so your saying that it's fine in the front on the 2012+?
Old 02-24-2016, 07:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally i would never suggest an auto locker in the front of any vehicle unless it is u100% Offroad. Even in 2wd in the front they can be unruly in slipper road conditions.
You can learn to manage it but do you really want to have to worry about it.

Note: if the Detroit is not recommended for the rear due to TC and ABS issues it will be the same for the front. Lockers of this type are always locked, then unlock as you go around a corner, this action requires friction between tires and road and a differential in tire speed between left and right. If you are in a no traction situation i.e. snow or rain it may or may not unlock.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:39 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Personally i would never suggest an auto locker in the front of any vehicle unless it is u100% Offroad. Even in 2wd in the front they can be unruly in slipper road conditions.
You can learn to manage it but do you really want to have to worry about it.

Note: if the Detroit is not recommended for the rear due to TC and ABS issues it will be the same for the front. Lockers of this type are always locked, then unlock as you go around a corner, this action requires friction between tires and road and a differential in tire speed between left and right. If you are in a no traction situation i.e. snow or rain it may or may not unlock.
Unless they have hubs. I currently have one up front and will soon be swapping my rear spool to one also. With a spool and auto locker front in Wisconsin winters i have had zero problems at all

Last edited by Maertz; 02-24-2016 at 11:56 AM.

Quick Reply: How do Detroit Lockers work on the front of a 2014 JK?