Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How difficult is it to install Chromoly Axle Shafts?

Old 10-23-2009, 10:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dlincoln91
how do you have them pressed... is it with amachine,tool or what
just a little creativeness with a simple hydraulic press...and I second the aforementioned heat and cold trick, that's how I installed just about all of my interference fit items during gear install
Old 10-23-2009, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i just learned somethig new, and it cost me $200. Here is what happened: So I bent my 2007 Sahara right rear axle shaft. Its a Dana 44. Found a guy that bent his left axle shaft so I bought his right side that was still straight. Went to NAPA auto parts and had the ABS ring removed off my axle and had the bearings and ABS ring pressed on my new axle. As I'm checking out someone says "Why is that axle longer than the other?" I said, "oh shi*". Apparently rubicon Dana 44s are slightly beefier than sahara Dana 44. So i payed to have another set of bearing pressed back onto my old axle so that I could atleast continue driving my jeep. Soooo! If anyone has a sahara Dana 44 right rear axle shaft please let me know. I just tossed $200 out the window.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:22 AM
JK Jedi Master

just so you know, the X models have the same length
Old 10-23-2009, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

So the d44 in the x and rubi are the same with the exception to the E-locker but the sahara has a different d44 altogether?
Old 10-23-2009, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by style_front
So the d44 in the x and rubi are the same with the exception to the E-locker but the sahara has a different d44 altogether?
No, X and Sahara's have the same shafts. The rear D44 in a Rubi has different shafts all together.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

ahh, I read that wrong, I thought Pigina was saying that X model shafts were the same length as the rubi....

Quick Reply: How difficult is it to install Chromoly Axle Shafts?