Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

how did u cut for your AEV snorkel

Old 05-16-2010, 08:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmda9noke
its easy just take your time first time for me using saws and such lol
Will it interfere with pillar mounted lights?
Old 05-16-2010, 09:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't have air available would a jig / saber saw with a 24 TPI metal cutting blade work?
Old 05-18-2010, 04:33 PM
JK Freak

About to do it to 2 jeeps, are you guys just using touch up paint to cover the cut metal? Do the instructions tell you how to prevent rust?
Old 05-18-2010, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

just seeing what different routes people took to cut thier hood for thier AEV snorkel

Cutting wheel?
body saw?
Dremal?

whats easiest to get the job done

Im getting ready to cut mine this weekend and want all the encouragement i can get

Thanks Bryan

I used a cutting wheel. Make sure you mask it off first!

Pat-
Old 05-22-2010, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Installed AEV Snorkel today, Glad I re-check before I CUT!

Today, I installed by AEV Snorkel (thanks Dave at Northridge)
When I read all the instructions and cut out the template, It just did not look right to me. It said to allow 3/4" from the indentation of the hood latch area and it was almost double that. I did it by myself which is an accomoplishment. I went to Home Depot and purchased a Delta cutting wheel for only $29.00 and a 2" hole saw for $8.00. I peeling the Rubicon decal in less than 5-minutes and that was easy. I took the template and cut it our and used rubber cement to a fix the paper to the jeep hood. I marked as per the instructions and it DID NOT LOOK RIGHT. So I placed the snorkel into position and slowly let the hood rest on the snorkel and it was way off. So I marked the hood and re-positioned the template. One it was was correct, I simply used the 2" hole saw and made the two cuts. Then I used the cutting wheel tool and it was easy, quick and simple. Took me maybe 10-minutes. The snorkel easily fit into the stock Jeep airbox and them I used silicon glue to seal the fit both externally and internally. NOW, I have to look at ententind the breathing hoses. Well, all was done within 1-1/2-hour and it look GREAT. I even glued some protective trim over the cut metal edges so that you would not be able to be cut. Looks Great, JUST HAPPY I RE-CHECKED BEFORE CUTTING.

just seeing what different routes people took to cut thier hood for thier AEV snorkel

Cutting wheel?
body saw?
Dremal?

whats easiest to get the job done

Im getting ready to cut mine this weekend and want all the encouragement i can get

Thanks Bryan

Quick Reply: how did u cut for your AEV snorkel