Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How can I improve the MPG in my stock Rubicon unlimited?

Old 08-09-2010, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1stjeep.ro
gentlemen, I'm sorry if i thread jack here but if you are to start using a super chips programmer, will it void your warranty? I live in Canada and I'm concerned because i only have 2500kms on this thing and would absolutely hate to lose my warranty.
i would ask the dealership. what a lot of people do is they get the programmer and program away and right before they go back to the dealer they covert back to stock.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pluke the 2
i would ask the dealership. what a lot of people do is they get the programmer and program away and right before they go back to the dealer they covert back to stock.
Well I'm not sure i want to call the dealership to let them know I'm about to modify the ecu however will they be able to tell i played around with it even after I reset to stock?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JPop
I would advise sending it back. All it does is replace the AIT sensor with a resistor to send a false reading to the PCM. What that does is take air temperature out of the equation while making the engine believe it has cooler air that its pulling in. Definitely bad mojo, but the AIT sensor is located at the outside of the air intake tubes elbow.
thank you for this info, i have ordered one of the afe air filter units, maybe i should put that on
before anything. ??

Last edited by harrytonygerry; 08-09-2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-09-2010, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1stjeep.ro
Well I'm not sure i want to call the dealership to let them know I'm about to modify the ecu however will they be able to tell i played around with it even after I reset to stock?
i wouldnt call the dealership and tell them your vin and name and what your about to do it your jeep.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:08 PM
JK Freak

17 is awesome!
Old 08-10-2010, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

bump!
What others modifications can improve the MPG in my stock Rubicon unlimited?
Old 08-10-2010, 09:43 AM
JK Super Freak

I have a 3.25 inch lift with 35" tires, 4:10 gears, and a stick... I get on average 18 to 19 mpg. The two things that really bumped up my fuel efficiency as the superchip and my snorkel. My snorkel bumped up my city performance by 2mpg and highway by 1 mpg; and the Superchip gave me about 1 in the city and 2mpg on the highway. Net, net, I have about a 3mpg gain.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

I purchased the superchips flashpaq 3 weeks ago. I have gone from around 17 mpg to 20.2 mpg on my last tank. I have been in the 20 mpg ballpark since getting it and have put over 1k miles on my Jeep since then.

It may be important to know that my 2dr is a soft top sport s. Not sure how much different MPGs are for the 4drs, but from what I'm reading it isn't too different.

The next item on my wish list that will help MPG will be the exhause. I'm currently thinking about the Dynomax cat-back system but really want to ride in another jeep with it to make sure it isn't too loud inside.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ARXD
bump!
What others modifications can improve the MPG in my stock Rubicon unlimited?
I think you're at a point where its as good as it gets. I was getting 14-16 with my rubi when it was stock. Now with the lift, wheels, 5.38's and 37 in tires I'm getting about 15 if I'm easy on it. 11 if I'm in a hurry.

I notice the MPG goes down then i drive with the doors off. Even further down with the top off. And my hard top gives me better MPG than the soft.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Without the programmer I got 12.5L per 100KMS
Now with the programmer and throttle body spacer I get anywhere from 11 to 12.3 depending on the setting I use.

Not bad for a $125 CDN

Quick Reply: How can I improve the MPG in my stock Rubicon unlimited?