Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How can I improve the MPG in my stock Rubicon unlimited?

Old 08-09-2010, 01:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple.

To gain horsepower and get better gas milage make your rig look like your avatar.

Lose the doors, top, rear seats and spare tire and whatever else you can live without.

Drop 600 lbs,pump your tires to 40 psi and see what happens.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out - https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-Double-Digits!.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mack78
Like you, I also want to improve my MPG when my new Rubicon gets in. One simple option I am seriously considering is a cold air intake. It simpley replaces your air filter with a "high performance" and has a box around it so the engine is drawing in colder air than in engine compartment (at least in theory). Not too expensive or complicated. I have read horrible results about the "Tornado" which you insert into your air intake hose.

Another option I am looking into is changing out all my fluids, especially oil, to Royal Purple. That's not going to impact your MPG significantly, but over time should help. I am also doing this because I want to keep this Jeep until my son goes to college in ten years.

Glad you like your Jeep .
Amsoil throughout u will see a increase in mpg plus all the other benafits
Old 08-09-2010, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ARXD
Hi!
I just purchased my first JK (Rubicon unlimited, Auto) and I"m very happy with it!
This site is full of knowledge, I spending hours and days reading, so much to learn!

but... the more I read the more I wonder about what is out there...

So my question is this:
what modifications can improve the MPG in my stock Rubicon unlimited?

People in this forum have mention in the past:
superchips flashpaq?
intake?
exhaust?
regear?

What are they? price? will it help with MPG?
and if not, what will? (if any)

p.s:
I love my Jeep! the best thing that ever happen to me, it is now my DD!!! therefore MPG is now important...
I don't have (yet) the need for a lift, big tires and etc, I like it just the way it is-
it is more then enough for my "newbie" off road skills...

Thank you!
Amsoil throughout the engine and drive train
Old 08-09-2010, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Be carefull and do a lot of research before you buy something to improve mileage. Many times the cost of the "improvement" is never paid back in fuel savings. Other than driving habits and tire pressure, there is little you can do to a boxy Jeep that will pay for itself through better economy. You are at your best economy in stock form and a light foot. As soon as you start changing things, more than likely your economy will change very little or go down.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:04 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

Added to my 2010 Wrangler Sport, K & N Cold Air Kit, Superchips Flashpaq and MBPR performance exhausts and definately got more power and better gas mileage. It took about 150 miles for the computer to realize what I did but once it did, it felt great! Also had motor oil replaced at 3,000 with Mobile 1 synthetic and will continue to use from this point forward.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:08 PM
JK Newbie

also a newbie, just got a new rubicon unlimited, ordered a new air filter system, next to do is a
slr motorsports performance chip. got it today, now i need to find where the IAT sensor is????
anybody who knows, please let me know.. I will post results if any. also, has anyone purchased the advertised more comfortable seats? I got the leather seats, and already hurting this old back and legs. any info would help.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:15 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by harrytonygerry
also a newbie, just got a new rubicon unlimited, ordered a new air filter system, next to do is a
slr motorsports performance chip. got it today, now i need to find where the IAT sensor is????
anybody who knows, please let me know.. I will post results if any. also, has anyone purchased the advertised more comfortable seats? I got the leather seats, and already hurting this old back and legs. any info would help.
I would advise sending it back. All it does is replace the AIT sensor with a resistor to send a false reading to the PCM. What that does is take air temperature out of the equation while making the engine believe it has cooler air that its pulling in. Definitely bad mojo, but the AIT sensor is located at the outside of the air intake tubes elbow.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

gentlemen, I'm sorry if i thread jack here but if you are to start using a super chips programmer, will it void your warranty? I live in Canada and I'm concerned because i only have 2500kms on this thing and would absolutely hate to lose my warranty.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:22 PM
JK Freak

I'll never see 17 mph again :(

Quick Reply: How can I improve the MPG in my stock Rubicon unlimited?