Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How can I improve the MPG in my stock Rubicon unlimited?

Old 08-09-2010, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I improve the MPG in my stock Rubicon unlimited?

Hi!
I just purchased my first JK (Rubicon unlimited, Auto) and I"m very happy with it!
This site is full of knowledge, I spending hours and days reading, so much to learn!

but... the more I read the more I wonder about what is out there...

So my question is this:
what modifications can improve the MPG in my stock Rubicon unlimited?

People in this forum have mention in the past:
superchips flashpaq?
intake?
exhaust?
regear?

What are they? price? will it help with MPG?
and if not, what will? (if any)

p.s:
I love my Jeep! the best thing that ever happen to me, it is now my DD!!! therefore MPG is now important...
I don't have (yet) the need for a lift, big tires and etc, I like it just the way it is-
it is more then enough for my "newbie" off road skills...

Thank you!
Old 08-09-2010, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

the dashboard show average of: 17.42 MPG, USA. (13.5 L/km Canada)
50% of it is Highway.
Will the superchips flashpaq, intake, exhaust or regear can help me improved the MPG?
I am a newbie, so I have no idea what those even are... but I here people in this forum that praise them all the time...
So...If I can improve my ride, why not?

Please help....

Last edited by A.R.X-D; 08-09-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:32 AM
JK Junkie

A superchip basically reprograms the computer on the Jeep and makes if function more efficiently.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Same Boat

Like you, I also want to improve my MPG when my new Rubicon gets in. One simple option I am seriously considering is a cold air intake. It simpley replaces your air filter with a "high performance" and has a box around it so the engine is drawing in colder air than in engine compartment (at least in theory). Not too expensive or complicated. I have read horrible results about the "Tornado" which you insert into your air intake hose.

Another option I am looking into is changing out all my fluids, especially oil, to Royal Purple. That's not going to impact your MPG significantly, but over time should help. I am also doing this because I want to keep this Jeep until my son goes to college in ten years.

Glad you like your Jeep .
Old 08-09-2010, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sometimes getting an after market exhaust and intake and superchips will make your foot step down harder and actually lower your mpgs.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:56 AM
JK Junkie

Muffler relocation kit and straight through can, drop in after market performance filter and a Superchips is about as good as it gets without spending more than you would ever recover in fuel mileage savings.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ARXD
the dashboard show average of: 17.42 MPG, USA. (13.5 L/km Canada)
50% of it is Highway.
Will the superchips flashpaq, intake, exhaust or regear can help me improved the MPG?
I am a newbie, so I have no idea what those even are... but I here people in this forum that praise them all the time...
So...If I can improve my ride, why not?

Please help....
17.42 seems pretty good; that is about what I am getting with my Rubi Unlimited with only a new bumper at the moment.

I did just purchase a Superchips Flashpaq and installed it on Friday moments before leaving on a 3 hour trip - almost all highway.

I used the 87 tune and it seemed to provide a little better performance and the lie-o-meter moved up to the 18 MPG range. Not sure if this is because it was mostly highway or not. I will see if it helps with MPG or not. I mainly got it to get a "little" power boost, set the TPMS, and tire size.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JPop
Muffler relocation kit and straight through can, drop in after market performance filter and a Superchips is about as good as it gets without spending more than you would ever recover in fuel mileage savings.

1. What is a "Muffler relocation kit"? where will can I possibly relocate the muffler? and why?
2. Superchips? is That a program that you load to the jeep mainframe? is that safe? what is that do?

I am sorry for my ignorant...
Old 08-09-2010, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. What is a "Muffler relocation kit"? where will can I possibly relocate the muffler? and why?
Muffler:

http://northridge4x4.com/proddetail....=MBRP-S5514409

The muffler will relocate your muffler to where it's used for high clearance situations. Check the description on the above link.

2. Superchips? is That a program that you load to the jeep mainframe? is that safe? what is that do?

I am sorry for my ignorant]
Programmer
http://northridge4x4.com/proddetail.php?prod=SCHIP-3875

again check the description on what it will do. and yes its safe as long as you bring your jeep back to stock before going to see a dealer.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

The other thing to look at would be your driving habits (making no assumptions just saying).

Even a Prius gets poor milage if driven like mad.

But, your milage sounds decent. I have seen MUCH worse.

Quick Reply: How can I improve the MPG in my stock Rubicon unlimited?