Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

how can i get more flex

Old 02-24-2011, 08:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how can i get more flex

i have a 2.5 coil lift from teraflex with shock adaptors. i want to upgrade the shocks for a better ride, will this also give me for flex or what would i need to add to this lift kit to make it more complete?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2.5" lift with 35s is about right. To increase some down travel maybe a long arm upgrade might do the trick. Or some coilovers!

Definitely get new shocks either way. I didn't really like the factory ones personally and couldn't get rid of them fast enough
Old 02-24-2011, 08:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Check out the old man emu long travel shocks. You more than likely will also need to replace the brackets for your brake lines with extended brake lines.

Also will probably need to make sure your DS is safe.

I have the same lift and the shocks are limiting me the most.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2011, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

With the long travel shocks dont the springs become unseated? as long as the brake lines arent long enough.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wasntborn2follow
With the long travel shocks dont the springs become unseated? as long as the brake lines arent long enough.
The TF kit comes with rear coil spring retainers and the front clips can be had for about $20 bucks.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shockwaveaz
The TF kit comes with rear coil spring retainers and the front clips can be had for about $20 bucks.

Not meaning to hi jack but what clips are you talking about? The currie ones?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wasntborn2follow
Not meaning to hi jack but what clips are you talking about? The currie ones?
Rockkrawler

http://www.rockkrawler.com/?r_intro=1

Old 02-24-2011, 09:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Rockkrawler

http://www.rockkrawler.com/

Sweet ill look those up. With my bilsteins and at full flex my front spring is totally loose...
Old 02-24-2011, 09:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume you are talking only about retaining the lowers on both ends and not top and bottom on each end. If you lock your springs in on both ends, you will stretch them and destroy their compression rating.

If you lock the springs in the bottom only, they will unseat on top if over extended as well because they are not a true verticle mount back there.

The only way to properly maximize your articulation is to fully drop your rear (one side at a time) just until the springs unseat. Then measure between your shock mounting surfaces and subtract one inch. This assumes your jeep can flex enough.

Short arm kits may not even offer enough flex to unload the spring, in which case it would be your arms that are limiting your travel rather than your shocks.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
I assume you are talking only about retaining the lowers on both ends and not top and bottom on each end. If you lock your springs in on both ends, you will stretch them and destroy their compression rating.

If you lock the springs in the bottom only, they will unseat on top if over extended as well because they are not a true verticle mount back there.

The only way to properly maximize your articulation is to fully drop your rear (one side at a time) just until the springs unseat. Then measure between your shock mounting surfaces and subtract one inch. This assumes your jeep can flex enough.

Short arm kits may not even offer enough flex to unload the spring, in which case it would be your arms that are limiting your travel rather than your shocks.
It only holds them on the bottom. Just like the retainers for the rear. The top of the spring can still unseat but in the front it has the whole bumpstop to go through and on the rear i have the spacer with the spring guide...

Quick Reply: how can i get more flex