Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How to build up my rubi 44s

Old 07-17-2016, 06:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Biginboca
If 37's is the end game I think you can make factory axles work. Need to stay as narrow as possible (4.5" backspace wheels can work if you are willing to make clearance and adjustments.). Upgrade axle shafts and expect to bend rear flanges, which won't leave you stranded but is annoying. Upgrade ball joints to aftermarket when they fail early. Upgrade brakes cause the factory ones won't cut it. Truss and gusset the front axle. Weld the tubes on the rear axle. Regear to recover the power you lost. Be smart don't bounce rig and pull cable if you can't make an obstacle in a few tries. Once you have done all this you'll be where I have been for the last 4 years. No breakage but a few bent flanges. And wondering why you didn't save your $$ and buy better axles instead of dumping $$ into weak ass 44's... lol If you want to run anything over 37's do not pass go sell Rubi axles and move to Dana 60's/14B/Sterling. Even running 38's, and especially 13.5" wide ones, you are outside what's sensible.
Good advice. I've run chromoly front & rear for the last six years, sleeved & gusseted the front housing, replaced ball joints then ultimately replaced housing (mostly due to a smoking deal on a TF R44). The only failures I've had were bent fanges on the first set of rear shafts, which were junk Superiors, no longer in business. The G2/Ten Factory rear shafts I have now have been to Moab many times and still run true. I run Trailready HDs with 4" backspacing, no issues at all. 37" tires are a mixed bag of sizes & weights. The BFG KM2s aren't really 37s, more like 35.5s as are some of the others. After about 5k miles Mickey Thompson offerings are really 36s. OTOH, the Nittos, Toyos and some of the Pro Comps appear to be 37.5s and heavy as can be. Pays to do some real world comparisons before plunking down for tires. I'm not sure how BFG gets away with their BS, it's patently false advertising. If you pay for a 37 that's what you should get.

Last edited by SoK66; 07-17-2016 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: How to build up my rubi 44s