Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How to build up my rubi 44s

Old 07-12-2016, 08:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to build up my rubi 44s

Hey guys,

I just traded in my 2012 jku Sahara for a 2016 unlimited rubi. I am going to install the 4" mopar lift, I believe it is a teraflex rebrand and am going to run 38x13.50 toyo MTs with the Metalcloak overline system. My question to you guys is what would y'all recommend as far as upgrades to strengthen the front and also the rear axle if needed. This is going to be primarily a daily driver but I do go out to Uwharrie (in NC) 2 or 3 times a month. If anyone is familiar with Uwharrie, it does not have the most difficult of trails (compared to some of the stuff I see out west) but there are some challenging rock trails. In my downtime at work I came across the RCV shafts and like the idea because of their strength and lifetime warranty. What else would y'all recommend if anything? I don't know much about axles, besides the fact that I want as few breaks as possible. I see all types of upgrades as far as sleeves, c gussets, trusses, ball joints, chromolys, etc. Please weigh in guys, new to this and in desperate need of some suggestions and guidance. (Sorry about the novel I just wrote!)
Old 07-12-2016, 08:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

38inch tires for a DD ? Why not go with 35's
Old 07-12-2016, 09:08 PM
JK Newbie

Daily driver might have been the wrong terminology. I drive my truck the majority of the time, but my jeep will spend most of the time on the road as opposed to being a trail rig. My 2012 had 3.5" with 35s, my roommate has 3.5" with xrc fenders and 40" pitbulls, other roommate has 3.5" suspension, 2" body, and is on 37" toyo MTs. 3 guys at work all have 3-4 inches on 35s. We are all in an unspoken competition to outdo each other. I figured with 4" and over lines the 38s would not only fit better but also put me on top in our little competition. We all work in the car business and most of us are single with no kids, so this is how we have decided to blow our paychecks lol
Old 07-12-2016, 09:20 PM
JK Newbie

Forgot to mention this, when I bought my jeep I got the "mopar max care" lifetime warranty. So anything mechanical on my jeep is warrantied for life. Anything I replace is no longer covered, so I have to weigh out the pros and cons of upgrades, because if it is stock and breaks it's covered, if it's aftermarket and breaks then it is on my dime to fix...
Old 07-12-2016, 11:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I don't know much about axles, besides the fact that I want as few breaks as possible.
You didn't mention if you will be doing any of the work yourself. Gear setup, welding?

Instead of dumping money into the stock housings, you might be better off in the long run looking at new axles (or a new front at least) and selling your brand new rubi44's to help offset the cost. Fusion 4x4 seems to be quickly making a name for themselves, at least worth a price comparison against whatever you come up with for beefing yours up.

This topic gets beaten to death quite often, with people chiming in on both sides of the argument, so there are plenty of other threads to read through for opinions.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:15 AM
JK Newbie

If you don't plan on spending the cash for Dana 60s, some good easy upgrades too really beef up your axles.
Get it sleeved, C reinforcement, chromoly or rcv shafts, upgrade your gears too 5.13 if plan on running the 38s and if it's an automatic. New dif cover, you could upgrade your knuckles too heavy duty.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies guys. I am not doing the work myself, but my brother can do any welding I need and mechanical stuff I can get done super cheap. I am leaning towards just upgrading the stock rubi. What are recommendations for the rear?
Old 07-13-2016, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wbradshaw6
What are recommendations for the rear?
Truss/sleeve/gears

The rear 44 is impressively strong.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Once you get gears done you will void what's left on your axle warranty.

Think about all of the pieces that have been recommended for you to replace......what's left in the housing? If you're going to replace all of the items then do it the right way and cancel the warranty on the axles.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

truss and sleeve the axle. gusset the C's. this will stiffen the housing and allow less deflection for the gears.. which are pretty strong in a JK.
then add alloy shafts and call it good.
I'd run 37's over the 38's... but Im running 38's on my rubi axles no problem.

Quick Reply: How to build up my rubi 44s