Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How big of winch do I need?

Old 12-04-2009, 09:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well a winch is only good when you need it .... so when you need it go with the best WARN i got the 9.5ti but at the time i couldnt aford the 9.5si so i recently got the synthetic winch rope 3/8 125' (thanks northridge) by going that rought i spent $100 more than saveing the rest and getting the si all that research that i did prior to INVESTING in a winch the warn 9.5 is the way to go unless you want onboard air then get the warn power plant
Old 12-04-2009, 10:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

this is great info. keep it coming! I like the tip about lin angle in mud.

Also, based on what I've read here & elsewhere, people should really use snatch blocks & double back the cable (to both double the pull & also un spool the line further down) much more often than they do. seems to me it's alsways better to pull at 40% capacity than 80% (or whatever the #s work out to be).
Old 12-05-2009, 02:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK here's what I don't understand. Why is it all the other high end winches have smaller horsepower motor's than Smittybilt? Are they that much more efficient? I'm by no means saying Warn aren't good winches, but is a Warn winch that much better than every other winch out there? Almost every winch they make is over $1000. I'll live with slower line speed if it's half the money. I'm a rookie when it come to winches, so I appoligize if I'm missing something here.
Thanks,
Old 12-05-2009, 03:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Northernmedic
Always figure a min of 1 1/2 x the weight of your vehicle loaded. also depends on the terrain you are traversing. Thick mud, deep snow, these require at least 2 x the vehicle weight. Synthetic rope is great! Alittle more $ but it is lighter, doesn't kink and best of all does not store energy like a wire cable. If synthetic breaks it will simply fall to the ground. If wire cable breaks, it holds energy and that energy is violently released causing potential damage, injury, or death. If you have an unlimited I would recommend the XRC10.
1.5 times the weight BARE minimum, in muddy areas at least 2 times the weight and buy a snatch block.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NITRORC pilot
OK here's what I don't understand. Why is it all the other high end winches have smaller horsepower motor's than Smittybilt? Are they that much more efficient? I'm by no means saying Warn aren't good winches, but is a Warn winch that much better than every other winch out there? Almost every winch they make is over $1000. I'll live with slower line speed if it's half the money. I'm a rookie when it come to winches, so I appoligize if I'm missing something here.
Thanks,
I believe in keeping things simple, hence the sig.
So that's why I went with the M8000 Warn 549.00 out the door.
Sure compare the specs you'll find one better on paper, really though is it a reliable winch? And for how long? The life of you owning the Jeep, right? Here's the kicker, It's not a 1,000 dollar winch. I've seen these M8000 winch's pull 6500 lb trucks out so yeah there reliable well beyond most 8000 lb winches... For the record I don't recommend it, neither would most people either.
You can always use a snatch block, and out pull most every winch out there if they are using a single pull anyways.

My .02, The M8000 works for me... it's not fancy, and I do not have a higher pulling rating then the guy next to me, but it works very well. I would call this winch a great starting point, if you are looking for a winch for any JK. Then compare with what makes you happy. Do Warn's break?, sure but seriously no where near as often as any competition's winch's out there.
So my .02 start at the M8000 and go from there.
For you don't start at a 1,000 dollar winch... Those aren't for everyone.

With that said if I tipped the scales between 5,500-6K loaded then
I would get a 9K Warn or the 9.5ti Warn.
Good luck either way...
Old 12-05-2009, 08:29 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Outdoors
I believe in keeping things simple, hence the sig.
So that's why I went with the M8000 Warn 549.00 out the door.
Sure compare the specs you'll find one better on paper, really though is it a reliable winch? And for how long? The life of you owning the Jeep, right? Here's the kicker, It's not a 1,000 dollar winch. I've seen these M8000 winch's pull 6500 lb trucks out so yeah there reliable well beyond most 8000 lb winches... For the record I don't recommend it, neither would most people either.
You can always use a snatch block, and out pull most every winch out there if they are using a single pull anyways.

My .02, The M8000 works for me... it's not fancy, and I do not have a higher pulling rating then the guy next to me, but it works very well. I would call this winch a great starting point, if you are looking for a winch for any JK. Then compare with what makes you happy. Do Warn's break?, sure but seriously no where near as often as any competition's winch's out there.
So my .02 start at the M8000 and go from there.
For you don't start at a 1,000 dollar winch... Those aren't for everyone.

With that said if I tipped the scales between 5,500-6K loaded then
I would get a 9K Warn or the 9.5ti Warn.
Good luck either way...
where can I get a Warn M8000 for $549?
Old 12-05-2009, 03:36 PM
JK Newbie

Check winchdepot.com They currently have the M8000 listed for $539.99 and it may qualify for free shipping. I bought my XD9000i through them. No problems, fast delivery.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:05 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JBCO
Check winchdepot.com They currently have the M8000 listed for $539.99 and it may qualify for free shipping. I bought my XD9000i through them. No problems, fast delivery.
maybe I'm a spaz but it came up as 799. PM me a link pls
Old 12-05-2009, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

winchdepot.com/Winches-Winch-Accessories/M8000-Self-Recovery-Winch.aspx?t_c=18&t_s=300&t_pt=100702&t_pl=6407&t_ pn=WAR26502[/url]

I just tried it...$539.99

Last edited by mkjeep; 12-05-2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: no clicky
Old 12-05-2009, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

i rock a Chicago Electric from Harbor Freight on my old jeep. if you're guna buy a cheep winch, buy the cheapest, they are all the same. if not that, then spend the coin and get a good warn.

8000lb for $299: harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40764[/url]

i know lots of guys with em to, have always been great. didn't use it for almost 2 years and she was frozen ... but hit it with a hammer while clicking the controler and she pulled like new.

Last edited by mkjeep; 12-05-2009 at 07:38 PM. Reason: no clicky

Quick Reply: How big of winch do I need?