Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How big of winch do I need?

Old 12-03-2009, 10:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like Smittybilt has a XRC 10 "comp" series that comes standard with synthetic line and an aluminum fair lead. Link below...

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92122_1003_07.htm
Old 12-04-2009, 04:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Northernmedic
Always figure a min of 1 1/2 x the weight of your vehicle loaded. also depends on the terrain you are traversing. Thick mud, deep snow, these require at least 2 x the vehicle weight. Synthetic rope is great! Alittle more $ but it is lighter, doesn't kink and best of all does not store energy like a wire cable. If synthetic breaks it will simply fall to the ground. If wire cable breaks, it holds energy and that energy is violently released causing potential damage, injury, or death. If you have an unlimited I would recommend the XRC10.
X2, I went with the XRC comp 10
Old 12-04-2009, 05:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here are some guidelines. I didn't come up with these - they were extracted from a US Army manual on vehicle recovery.

If a vehicle is mired to where the tires and the wheels meet, you will need a pull equal to it's weight to get it out.

If a vehicle is mired to the hubs, you will need a pull equal to twice it's weight to get it out.

If a vehicle is mired to it's body, you will need a pul equal to three times it's weight to get it out.

So...load you rig up with all the gear you bring on the trail, and weigh it at a struck stop. Then do a bit of math, and decide how often you're willing to use a snatchblock.

Also understand that most winches will only pull their "rated" amount when on the last or second-last wrap (closest to the drum). As you move outward, you may find that the effective amount of pull delivered is cut down to about 70% of the "rated" pull.

So: 8000 pound rating X 70% = 5600 pounds single-line pull or 11,200 pounds double-line.

4500 pound JK Unlimited X 3 if it's really mired = 13,500 pound pull needed.

What does all of that mean? You may be all right with an 8000 pound winch...but you may not. I personally spent a few more dollars for a 9500 pound winch.

9500 pound rating X 70% = 6650 pounds single-line or 13,300 double-line.

If you don't plan on getting really stuck, an 8000 pound winch may do it...but it may also fail you when the going gets tough. There's a reason that a lot of the experienced wheelers will spend the extra money for 9500 pound winches - normally the same reason that so many of us buy Warn winches.

Great advice.

Originally Posted by Northern Wrangler
Looks like Smittybilt has a XRC 10 "comp" series that comes standard with synthetic line and an aluminum fair lead. Link below...

And as for that link on the Smittybilt XRC-10 with synthetic line, am I crazy or is that a fantastic price?!!!??
Old 12-04-2009, 05:56 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at the XRC10 as the price is nice....but with adding another $200 for shipping to Canada....I spent another $100 more and got a Warn XD9000i with lifetime warranty.

Good Read if you are looking at winches....actual owner reviews.....of most winches on the market.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f201/

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 12-04-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

no matter what winch you get the BEST thing you can do is TO GET A GOOD SNATCH BLOCK.

seriously 8, 10, 12, all will do the job you need just fine. but get a snatch, it will make you're lift that much easier. i run an 8k and with the snatch have NEVER been left needing more. i almost stalled her at 16,000lb of pull one time ... but she made it.

also, a ton has to do with how you hook the winch up. if you are stuck in the mud with a big wall of mud, you have to run the line at an angle up from the bumper ... pulling yourself down into the mud will make a 12k stall when an 8k would have gotten you out with the correct line placement.

i'd HIGHLY recomend getting a better quality winch with a faster line pull in the 8k range, then a lower level 10 or 12k. you'll thank me later.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:48 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by 6DoF

no matter what winch you get the BEST thing you can do is TO GET A GOOD SNATCH BLOCK.
Agree here it will double your pulling power 8000lb winch will pull 16,000lbs! I know a XD9000i Warn with snatch block pulled out my 8500lb CTD stuck up to the axles out of the slim with no issues!
Old 12-04-2009, 08:21 PM
JK Freak

Well I checked the XRC10 Comp out locally. Its on sale here for $799 plus tax (12%). Quadratec has it for $549. I've decided to order it from Quadratec. I lifted the XRC 10 with steel cable and with synth line and MAN what a difference in weight!!!

I contacted Quadratec and ran some numbers. I should be able to get it from them on sale and after $ conversion and shipping I will still save at least $150! I could care less if I can go buy it locally. I'll wait for it to ship in and save some funds. $150 can go towards my ARB bumper which after speaking to a certain forum sponsor, i can have delivered to my door for a bit over $1100 tax in!

This is great because before learning about the XRC i was gonna buy a Warn 9.5ti for $1400 (plus tax)... Now I'll get my bumper and winch for under 2k!
Old 12-04-2009, 08:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Well I checked the XRC10 Comp out locally. Its on sale here for $799 plus tax (12%). Quadratec has it for $549. I've decided to order it from Quadratec. I lifted the XRC 10 with steel cable and with synth line and MAN what a difference in weight!!!

I contacted Quadratec and ran some numbers. I should be able to get it from them on sale and after $ conversion and shipping I will still save at least $150! I could care less if I can go buy it locally. I'll wait for it to ship in and save some funds. $150 can go towards my ARB bumper which after speaking to a certain forum sponsor, i can have delivered to my door for a bit over $1100 tax in!

This is great because before learning about the XRC i was gonna buy a Warn 9.5ti for $1400 (plus tax)... Now I'll get my bumper and winch for under 2k!
I personally would not deal with qtec for a winch, there ass cant always back up what there mouth says, they screwed me on my wich and my refund, I went with 4wd.com and never looked back
Old 12-04-2009, 09:08 PM
JK Jedi

Picked up a brand new Warn XD9000i for $900.00 at Lordco. Warn was having a sale. Which local company did you pick up your XRC 10?
Old 12-04-2009, 09:09 PM
JK Super Freak

The description says XRC-10 Comp-Series Winch. Under parts included it says >>XRC-8 Comp Winch.

Am I missing something?

Quick Reply: How big of winch do I need?