Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

how big a tire before the 3.8 V6 wont cut it?

Old 12-26-2011, 12:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You do have to remember with tires and weight, that rotational weight has a bigger effect on performance than static weight. If you sat a 100 lb weight in the Jeep, it would not have that much of an effect on the acceleration. But if you strapped the 100 lbs on the rims or tires, the weight would have a mulitplied effect, because the engine would have to work harder to turn the wheels. There are dozens of other factors involved in the tire size equation, friction, drag, tire pressure, etc... I agree with the other posters that other parts will have problems before the 3.8L does with huge tires.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by armycop
You do have to remember with tires and weight, that rotational weight has a bigger effect on performance than static weight. If you sat a 100 lb weight in the Jeep, it would not have that much of an effect on the acceleration. But if you strapped the 100 lbs on the rims or tires, the weight would have a mulitplied effect, because the engine would have to work harder to turn the wheels. There are dozens of other factors involved in the tire size equation, friction, drag, tire pressure, etc... I agree with the other posters that other parts will have problems before the 3.8L does with huge tires.
Yes, for sure. It takes more power to get big heavy tires to rotate - or stop rotating. This makes both axles and brakes work harder when accelerating or stopping. Doesn't have much effect when running at a steady speed on the level though.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-26-2011, 11:07 PM
JK Newbie

just got to regear it to 5.13 and then you will be able to run what ever you want. Also depends on your lift height (if you have one even), make sure the JK can clear the tires without rubbing. It the not the engine that make stop people from going to bigger tires, it the gears. Hope this helps!!
Old 12-27-2011, 07:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Desert Drifter
This is a great chart. Thanks for re-posting.

How different would this chart look with Hemi power? I think that is what the O.P. was asking. The answer still comes back to gears in any case.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:04 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by iphonedylan

This is dumb. Not trying to flame you but it's silly. The 2 door can tow 2000lbs and 4 door 3500lbs... Why do you think? Because the 4 door has a different 3.8L? The towing has to do with wheel base. It's also while you're only supposed to have 100lbs of tongue weight. Now 3500lbs might be nearing what Jeep believes the engine is capable of towing safely but if you throw 3500lbs on the 2 door and jump on the brakes at 60 mph you've got a pretty good chance of doing a wheelie and that would be youtube worthy... I believe there is a guy on here with the four door and a special hitch towing a 5500lbs trailer. I'm not saying it'd be fun but it works. Gears are your friend.
As I stated and you regurgitated gears are your friend. Along with the fact that I have never seen or heard of 2500lbs of tire for street use. Good job hero you flamed a fellow jeeper for helping. Special little fellow aren't you!?

Last edited by Lancejk; 12-27-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Lancejk

As I stated and you regurgitated gears are your friend. Along with the fact that I have never seen or heard of 2500lbs of tire for street use. Good job hero you flamed a fellow jeeper for helping. Special little fellow aren't you!?
I think I cleared up the the towing capabilities of each model and briefly explained why they are different (and why neither are 2500 lbs.) Sorry for regurgitating, bud.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

I run 37's with 538 gearing and its about stock I would think. Not bad, but a v8 is definitely in the far future

Quick Reply: how big a tire before the 3.8 V6 wont cut it?