Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How to begin a build

Old 04-26-2016 | 02:22 PM
JK Junkie

LCG is great. Your Problem is going to be clearance. If you want a Long travel like 8" or more your going to have to do some cutting with a smaller lift and 35" tires.

I went with 3.5" lift and flats because I was rubbing like crazy and I don't want to put in limiting straps and Huge bump stops it defeats the purpose of Long travel shocks or a coil-over system.

To some my Jeep looks over lifted or Goofy I really don't care. It functions on the trail and thats what I built it for I would rather have space to move up to 37" tires or Just have space to ensure I won't rub. I'v seen people rip their OEM fenders straight off going up Ledges and rocks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Inches left.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	645116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	645117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Side.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	645118  
Old 04-26-2016 | 05:34 PM
JK Junkie
JK-Forum Ambassador

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
LCG is great. Your Problem is going to be clearance. If you want a Long travel like 8" or more your going to have to do some cutting with a smaller lift and 35" tires. I went with 3.5" lift and flats because I was rubbing like crazy and I don't want to put in limiting straps and Huge bump stops it defeats the purpose of Long travel shocks or a coil-over system. To some my Jeep looks over lifted or Goofy I really don't care. It functions on the trail and thats what I built it for I would rather have space to move up to 37" tires or Just have space to ensure I won't rub. I'v seen people rip their OEM fenders straight off going up Ledges and rocks.
So I ran about 10" travel on a 2.5" lift. Had stock cut flat fenders though. Had minimal shaft showing on full stuff (no pun intended), and actually my springs were beginning to unseat on full droop. Had I had springs like Metalcloak with a longer free length I probably could have setup for a little more droop.

Believe it or not a lot of the manufacturers springs have the same free length between their 2.5" and 3.5" springs. I believe Metalcloak and Rock Krawler are 2 right off the top of my head.

Limit straps are a good idea regardless because you don't want your shock to basically act as your limit strap holding the weight of the axle fully extended. All you have to do is setup the strap to catch the axle with minimal shaft still in the housing and you are basically using as much down travel as you can. It's all about picking the right shock for the springs you have. The goal is to find a shock that will allow you to damn near fully compress your springs and have minimal shaft showing on the shock, and to get to the free length of the spring without it popping out and just a little shaft still in the shock body. Its hard to get perfect.

Cycle your suspension to determine how much bumpstop you need before bottoming out your shock and figure out how much limit strap you need before over extending the shock.

I can tell you that if I had the Metalcloak 2.5" springs paired with the fox 4-6" lift shocks then it would have been a near perfect setup.
Old 04-26-2016 | 05:37 PM
JK Junkie
JK-Forum Ambassador

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
So I ran about 10" travel on a 2.5" lift. Had stock cut flat fenders though. Had minimal shaft showing on full stuff (no pun intended), and actually my springs were beginning to unseat on full droop. Had I had springs like Metalcloak with a longer free length I probably could have setup for a little more droop. Believe it or not a lot of the manufacturers springs have the same free length between their 2.5" and 3.5" springs. I believe Metalcloak and Rock Krawler are 2 right off the top of my head. Limit straps are a good idea regardless because you don't want your shock to basically act as your limit strap holding the weight of the axle fully extended. All you have to do is setup the strap to catch the axle with minimal shaft still in the housing and you are basically using as much down travel as you can. It's all about picking the right shock for the springs you have. The goal is to find a shock that will allow you to damn near fully compress your springs and have minimal shaft showing on the shock, and to get to the free length of the spring without it popping out and just a little shaft still in the shock body. Its hard to get perfect. Cycle your suspension to determine how much bumpstop you need before bottoming out your shock and figure out how much limit strap you need before over extending the shock. I can tell you that if I had the Metalcloak 2.5" springs paired with the fox 4-6" lift shocks then it would have been a near perfect setup.
And this isn't taking into consideration front driveshaft hitting the skid plate and stuff like that. There are still other factors to consider.
Old 04-27-2016 | 02:19 AM
JK Junkie

I'm running a 2.5" lift with 10.4" travel (front) and 11.2" travel (rear) shocks, adjustable track bars/control arms, 2" of bump all around, and Bushwacker flatties on 35x12.5x17s with 4.5" backspacing. No rubbing anywhere. MC checked it out on the CTI and said if I change fenders to something a little flatter (less lip) than the BWs I could pull an inch of bump out front and rear. I did have a muffler shop move the exhaust crossover back a couple of inches though as a precaution.

Last edited by 14Sport; 04-27-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-27-2016 | 06:56 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all of the replies. I will definitely use the advice when I begin modding.
Old 04-29-2016 | 04:46 AM
JK Freak

Take it out with some Jeepers, and see how you like it. Do a winch and wheel it. The drive train is solid if you leave everything stock. As your wheeling skill increases build the Jeep with it.

Big thing here, don't get envious. There will always be a shinier, bigger, stronger Jeep than yours. Love what you drive and build it into something you can be proud of.

I like to think of my Jeep like I think about my lady. You take care of her, and there is nothing she wont do for you.
Old 04-29-2016 | 05:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Blakspire
Take it out with some Jeepers, and see how you like it. Do a winch and wheel it. The drive train is solid if you leave everything stock. As your wheeling skill increases build the Jeep with it.

Big thing here, don't get envious. There will always be a shinier, bigger, stronger Jeep than yours. Love what you drive and build it into something you can be proud of.

I like to think of my Jeep like I think about my lady. You take care of her, and there is nothing she wont do for you.
Well said. Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking about saving up for a new set of at tires. There are hardly any rocky trails were I live so there is no need for extra clearance. I just need better traction in mud. Any recommendations for tires that will fit my stock wheels?
Old 04-29-2016 | 05:06 AM
JK Newbie

There are "befores" as well so keep that in mind. Such as goon a larger tire size you must before get new rims for back spacing or you'll get wheel rub. ALSO I cannot stress this enough CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS!!!!! I checked mine (NY) but the fenders I installed on my jeep, are in fact ILLEGAL in other states (XRC body armor fenders) so it's not just bolt & play and some parts Need some drilling & cutting so think before you buy if that's what you really want
Old 04-29-2016 | 05:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mdc183
Well said. Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking about saving up for a new set of at tires. There are hardly any rocky trails were I live so there is no need for extra clearance. I just need better traction in mud. Any recommendations for tires that will fit my stock wheels?

Tall and skinny will be your friend in most situations. Stick with a reputable brand and you will be fine. BFG, Goodyear, Toyo all make good tires. I run Toyo MTs, I'd recommend them to anyone. You will hear good and bad about any tire, the only advice I have is not to go with an off-brand or retread. Head to a tire store when youre ready and test fit until you find one that trips your trigger.
Old 04-29-2016 | 05:37 AM
JK Freak

Also, if you want extra traction in mud, play with the air pressure in your tires. Search airing down in the forum.

Quick Reply: How to begin a build