Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How to begin a build

Old 04-26-2016 | 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Default How to begin a build

I recently got my first jeep as my first vehicle. I like how it looks stock but it is a bit boring. I am interested in modding it but I don't know where to begin. Any tips on how to start my build?
Old 04-26-2016 | 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is it a daily driver?
Do you plan to take it off road?
If yes, what type of terrain?
What is your budget?

You could get a leveling kit and some Rubicon take offs and change the look. There are so many options for aftermarket parts to make your Jeep "Your Jeep". Its a good idea to read all the stickies at the top like "my thoughts on lifts" and others. Also the "Show me your..." threads are helpful if you want to get ideas for the look you want and PM the person or check out their signature/profile. Seems like everyone starts their build based on what they think they want first. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for and if you save up for the better stuff it will benefit in the long run. Research and read reviews before you buy.
Old 04-26-2016 | 11:37 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

There are two threads stuck right to the top of this Modified area, FAQ's and Thoughts On Lifts. Start with those.

Down in the JK Show & Tell sub-forum, you will find a bunch of huge picture threads. Many are devoted to specific builds. Tire size, lift size, certain modifications. Shouldn't take long to find a stance (lift/tire size) that you think is perfect for your jeep. Then refer back to the first two threads to start planning your build.

Just remember that the bone stock JK's are pretty capable right off the dealers lot. Maybe the best thing to do is just to go drive it on your local trails a few times before even considering throwing money at it.
Old 04-26-2016 | 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

If it is a daily driver, try to find and go to a local off-road or jeep club meeting and check out some of the mods.

If you plan to do an off-roader, there are a few resources here, but the general consensus is to take it out stock and see what you like and dislike and what changes you need to make.

I would start with easy and inexpensive mods: grab handles, grill inserts maybe even up to side steps / rock rails.

Search the modded section for wheel tire combos, figure out what tire size you want then pick a lift that can fit. Bumpers are all style and can cost a lot of money so take your time.

Maybe a video to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V77j5ZnOJjQ
Old 04-26-2016 | 11:45 AM
JK Junkie

For me, I would pick the tire size I want to run and then build around that, only doing what is necessary to get there. Then start the add-ons like bumpers and lights and what not.
Old 04-26-2016 | 12:46 PM
JK Super Freak

I started with the easier and cheaper stuff first as i was still making payments on the jeep. Bumpers / lights / rock rails / intake ( i like the donaldson type filters ) / diff covers.

Once i paid it off i had more money to sink into it so i went after the suspension / wheels / tires / programer.
Old 04-26-2016 | 01:34 PM
JK Junkie
JK-Forum Ambassador

Originally Posted by 14Sport
For me, I would pick the tire size I want to run and then build around that, only doing what is necessary to get there. Then start the add-ons like bumpers and lights and what not.
If your gonna off-road any then I would drive wherever you plan to off-road at and determine what your needs are based on the limitations you encounter.

If it's purely for looks then start with quoted comment.
Old 04-26-2016 | 01:48 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
If your gonna off-road any then I would drive wherever you plan to off-road at and determine what your needs are based on the limitations you encounter.

If it's purely for looks then start with quoted comment.
I wasn't referring to looks. I was referring to over-lifting. LCG is best in my opinion. Building a capable 35" wheel rig is much different than building a capable 40" wheel rig. So start there or spend twice.

Last edited by 14Sport; 04-26-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2016 | 01:58 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
^^^^^^Some of the best advice given so far.

Funny part is or may not be funny depends on how you look at it. The stuff that cost the most is.... Sh*t you can't even see!! Like Gears, Air/E-Lockers, Big brake Kit, Decent Axle shafts, Drive shafts.. etc...I'v got more money in Parts that are not "Panty Droppers".

My Jeep is purely a Trail Rig I don't put crap on my Jeep for looks like Grill inserts and LED turn signals etc... stuff that serves no trail purpose is not on my Jeep.

If you want a "Panty Dropper Mall Crawler" Get a 6" lift run 40" tires on a D30 don't lock it up don't even regear it. I'm sure if all the guys in here put our minds together we can come up with the coolest Trail Useless Looking Jeep.

I would start with recovery If your serious about Hitting the trails.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Close Call.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	645111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crawling.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	4.15 MB
ID:	645112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side View.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	645113  
Old 04-26-2016 | 02:10 PM
JK Junkie
JK-Forum Ambassador

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I wasn't referring to looks. I was referring to over-lifting. LCG is best in my opinion. Building a capable 35" wheel rig is much different than building a capable 40" wheel rig. So start there or spend twice.
I completely agree. But I also apply that logic to looks to. Lol. Even if you want looks then still have to do things right, well at least I do cause I'm OCD. Lol. But I know what you meant.

Quick Reply: How to begin a build