Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How to adjust Track Bar?

Old 04-06-2018, 12:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DiamondDan73
I saw a video on how to adjust a track bar and had a quick question.

In the video they removed a bolt from the track bar and let it drop down. They then turned the steering wheel back and forth 4 or 5 times which centered the front frame over the axle. Then they adjusted the track bar to the new length and re-attached it.

Is this the best way or should I measure the difference on each side and divide that number in half and adjust it that much?
Just my humble opinion, but I don't like that method of centering the front axle. I like to be a bit more precise. Find a clear spot on the side of the frame and with a tape measure, measure the distance from the frame to the inner edge of your tire sidewalls. (Don't let the measurement be affected by lettering on the tire.) Use the same spot on the opposite side of the frame and do the same measurement. Adjust your track bar so the measurements are within about 1/8" max. If you did it right your sway bar links & springs will be standing near-vertical, not tipped one way or the other. If you have to move the axle it will affect your steering wheel centering. Do the same thing for the rear axle.

FWIW, out of curiosity one bored Sunday AM, I ran over to my Jeep dealer and checked the axles centering on a random sample of about a hal-dozen new JKs on the lot. Every one had the axles offset about 1/16" towards the track bars' frame side brackets. That compensates for driver & passenger wirght, which would shift the axle in the opposite direction and have it roughly centered. I don't, but you can do the same offset.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I had a chance to adjust my TB and I had a horrible issue when I took her for a test spin.

My steering wheel was 1/4 rotated which I know how to fix. When I made a left turn there was horrible grinding and almost a like clinking noise and feel. My ABS and anti-sway light came on and started dinging. Took her home and undid the adjustment on the TB and every thing was fine.

An thoughts as to what could be wrong?
Old 04-07-2018, 03:57 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,690 Posts

So I had a chance to adjust my TB and I had a horrible issue when I took her for a test spin.

My steering wheel was 1/4 rotated which I know how to fix. When I made a left turn there was horrible grinding and almost a like clinking noise and feel. My ABS and anti-sway light came on and started dinging. Took her home and undid the adjustment on the TB and every thing was fine.

An thoughts as to what could be wrong?
Jeep thinks you're not going straight cuz the steering wheel. Recenter the steering wheel and test again. If you try to drive with steering wheel off that much, it will think you're in a wild slide and try to correct it.

Last edited by resharp001; 04-07-2018 at 04:00 AM.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

This ^^^

Re-center the axle with the track bar, center the steering wheel and you should be good. Be sure to check and adjust the rear centering as well. Just like doing a wheel alignment, do the rear centering first, then the front. Adjust the steering wheel. Done.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

Would that stop the metal on metal grinding?
Old 04-09-2018, 05:48 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Would that stop the metal on metal grinding?

It isn't metal on metal grinding, that is the sound of your ABS pump running and activating brakes.

Adam C
Old 04-09-2018, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

I see. Makes sense. The brakes felt extremely spongy when turning. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: How to adjust Track Bar?