Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How to adjust Track Bar?

Old 04-04-2018, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to adjust Track Bar?

I saw a video on how to adjust a track bar and had a quick question.

In the video they removed a bolt from the track bar and let it drop down. They then turned the steering wheel back and forth 4 or 5 times which centered the front frame over the axle. Then they adjusted the track bar to the new length and re-attached it.

Is this the best way or should I measure the difference on each side and divide that number in half and adjust it that much?
Old 04-04-2018, 11:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

A lot of this depends on which track bar you have. The ones that you adjust while installed (like Synergy or TF) are super easy due to their turnbuckle and/or sleeve designs. Others like RK are a pain in the a$$ and are easier to just completely remove and then reinstall. the method you described might be easier for some TB's if the jam nuts are easily accessed while partially installed (or installed) on the jeep). Get the body centered over the axle (measure to confirm), adjust TB to desired length, install and torque jam nut.

If you have fenders, it might be best to stand a level straight up on the tire, and then use a tape measure to measure from the upper spring perch to the tape measure. You just need a fixed point (the spring perch) and make sure you're measuring out to a similar point (hence the level).
Old 04-04-2018, 11:45 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Others like RK
Have you used our new RK02024B front track bar or RK02026B yet? Easier to adjust, easier to use.

Adam C
Old 04-04-2018, 11:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
Have you used our new RK02024B front track bar or RK02026B yet? Easier to adjust, easier to use.

Adam C
Nah, I have the older one that is adjustable on both ends......and about as much fun torquing on a workbench as wrestling a wet eel The newer designs you noted part numbers to do look like they'd be easier as they only have one end to torque down.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 208 Likes on 182 Posts

Nah, I have the older one that is adjustable on both ends......and about as much fun torquing on a workbench as wrestling a wet eel The newer designs you noted part numbers to do look like they'd be easier as they only have one end to torque down.
RK=Measure once/cut twice, often times more. The Teraflex TB I got went on painlessly, was a breeze to adjust twisting the adjustment with one hand, and best of all for my preference it is maintenance free and doesn't require special grease or need extra attention to the joints. Install and forget about it, just how I like it.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-04-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I have the RC TB which has the clamp and sleeve. So sounds like I just need to loosen the nuts and adjust it until my frame is centered over the axle.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by DiamondDan73
Thanks for the advice. I have the RC TB which has the clamp and sleeve. So sounds like I just need to loosen the nuts and adjust it until my frame is centered over the axle.
Yes, with that TB, you're livin' on easy street. LOL. Loosen clamps and simply adjust as needed. Should be easy to dial it in perfectly.

You're probably not moving the axle enough, but keep in mind when shifting the axle you're also shifting the DL just a bit. You may need to readjust the DL length so your steering wheel is perfectly straight again.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:09 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
RK=Measure once/cut twice, often times more. The Teraflex TB I got went on painlessly, was a breeze to adjust twisting the adjustment with one hand, and best of all for my preference it is maintenance free and doesn't require special grease or need extra attention to the joints. Install and forget about it, just how I like it.

There is a substantial difference in strength between solid stock steel with adjusting ends and jam nuts than tubing with an adjusting sleeve. I feel that the strength difference is worth the added 5 minutes of install time and needing to grease one joint every 6 months but others might feel different.

Adam C
Old 04-06-2018, 09:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I really have no loyalty to any manufacture. My jeep is a big mix of parts. When it came to the TB, the RK fit my need, and I felt ok with the anti-wobble joint in that bar. The price point fit my need, and although I didn't really like the double-adjustable ends, once set I was good. I don't really think it was a "cut twice or more" situation like other things.....in fact, the suggested measurement was spot on. It's been fine for me for a couple years now.....although wasn't thrilled with the PC from the very start....as the whole world complains about. I just couldn't justify spending a crap load more for somethings else.....mainly cuz this was my 3rd stab at a trackbar.... . 1st one was cheap Pro Comp POS till I learned about the crap I didn't know.....then was the Synergy TB which failed on my frame side within a year and I got pissed off about after that and their BJ's.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I really have no loyalty to any manufacture. My jeep is a big mix of parts. When it came to the TB, the RK fit my need, and I felt ok with the anti-wobble joint in that bar. The price point fit my need, and although I didn't really like the double-adjustable ends, once set I was good. I don't really think it was a "cut twice or more" situation like other things.....in fact, the suggested measurement was spot on. It's been fine for me for a couple years now.....although wasn't thrilled with the PC from the very start....as the whole world complains about. I just couldn't justify spending a crap load more for somethings else.....mainly cuz this was my 3rd stab at a trackbar.... . 1st one was cheap Pro Comp POS till I learned about the crap I didn't know.....then was the Synergy TB which failed on my frame side within a year and I got pissed off about after that and their BJ's.
Not to mention the $250 price tag on the Teraflex

That money could be spent on smarter things, like putting it towards traction devices. I run the RK in the rear and JKS up front. No complaints about either.

Quick Reply: How to adjust Track Bar?