Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How to adjust Front & rear trac bar?

Old 06-17-2011, 08:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool How to adjust Front & rear trac bar?

Hi All,

I've just installed a Teraflex 2.5" lift kit (with rear trac bar bracket on the axle). I also installed the Monster front trac bar. I measured the axles to the frame front and rear as follows:
driver front 19 7/8"
pass front 19 3/4"
driver rear 13 1/2"
pass rear 13 1/4"

The front axle is adjusted to with in 1/16" of center
The rear axle is offset 1/4" to the driver side.
The question is should I offset the front axle to equal the offset of the rear axle?

Tomorrow I install adjustable lower control arms and will set caster to ~ +6°
(loosened all control arm bolts and retorqued with Jeep on the ground)
I have yet to take it for a test drive. I'm trying to do everything possible to avoid the dreaded death wobble.

Thanks for you inputs

Jon aka 69mach1
Old 06-17-2011, 08:49 PM
JK Freak

Oops... wrong forum

Originally Posted by 69mach1
Hi All,

I've just installed a Teraflex 2.5" lift kit (with rear trac bar bracket on the axle). I also installed the Monster front trac bar. I measured the axles to the frame front and rear as follows:
driver front 19 7/8"
pass front 19 3/4"
driver rear 13 1/2"
pass rear 13 1/4"

The front axle is adjusted to with in 1/16" of center
The rear axle is offset 1/4" to the driver side.
The question is should I offset the front axle to equal the offset of the rear axle?

Tomorrow I install adjustable lower control arms and will set caster to ~ +6°
(loosened all control arm bolts and retorqued with Jeep on the ground)
I have yet to take it for a test drive. I'm trying to do everything possible to avoid the dreaded death wobble.

Thanks for you inputs

Jon aka 69mach1
Old 06-17-2011, 08:54 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think the offset of one axle will affect the other. So long as each axle is properly set, it should ride fine.... I think.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:19 PM
JK Jedi

Oops... wrong forum
Moved for ya
Old 06-17-2011, 11:41 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

... I measured the axles to the frame front and rear as follows:
driver front 19 7/8"
pass front 19 3/4"
driver rear 13 1/2"
pass rear 13 1/4"
I adjust trackbars as follows: Place a tall straightedge centered vertically against the tire. Measure from the straightedge to the outer lip of the fender. Do that on the other side of that axle. Adjust the trackbar so that measurement is identical on both sides (or as close as the screw adjustment will allow--about 1/16"). Do the same thing for the other axle. Then look at the vehicle from the front and double-check that both tires on each side are tracking behind each other (the purpose of the trackbar, after all), and such that the offset of each tire from the fenders appears identical (or as close as the screw adjustments will let it be).

BTW: Many folks round around without adjustable trackbars and their axles may be 1/4 to 1/2 inch off. And they do not have any significant problems. The key with avoiding death wobble is to ensure that everything is loosened before the vehicle is set onto the ground, that everything is properly torqued with the vehicle on the ground, and that there is no abnormal wear (say, a rounded out screw hole from prior DW events).
Old 06-18-2011, 05:44 AM
JK Freak

Cool

My rear trac bar is stock and non adjustable, so I was wondering if I should adjust the front axle to have the same offset to the driver side as the rear axle.

I do like the idea of using a tall straight edge against the tire for a more accurate reading. I'll measure again and see where I am.

While I had the shocks off I loosened all the control arm and trac bar bolts, then it is easy to fully cycle the suspension through its range, let it settle and then torque the bolts to 80ftlbs/125ftlbs respectfully.

Thanks

Jon

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I adjust trackbars as follows: Place a tall straightedge centered vertically against the tire. Measure from the straightedge to the outer lip of the fender. Do that on the other side of that axle. Adjust the trackbar so that measurement is identical on both sides (or as close as the screw adjustment will allow--about 1/16"). Do the same thing for the other axle. Then look at the vehicle from the front and double-check that both tires on each side are tracking behind each other (the purpose of the trackbar, after all), and such that the offset of each tire from the fenders appears identical (or as close as the screw adjustments will let it be).

BTW: Many folks round around without adjustable trackbars and their axles may be 1/4 to 1/2 inch off. And they do not have any significant problems. The key with avoiding death wobble is to ensure that everything is loosened before the vehicle is set onto the ground, that everything is properly torqued with the vehicle on the ground, and that there is no abnormal wear (say, a rounded out screw hole from prior DW events).
Old 06-18-2011, 05:49 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

assuming you have an adjustable front track bar, you can use this write-up to help center your axle

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment

your rear axle being off a bit is no big deal and there's no need to try and get your front to be off too. also, except for the front upper control arms (which need to be set at 75), all your other control arms need to be torqued to 125
Old 06-18-2011, 08:55 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

My rear trac bar is stock and non adjustable, so I was wondering if I should adjust the front axle to have the same offset to the driver side as the rear axle. ...
Got it. FYI, I helped Red-Dirt install his lift a few weeks back with a very similar configuration to yours. His rear axle centered up nicely with just the new TF trackbar relocation bracket, and he had an adjustable trackbar for the front axle that we centered up as I described above. Both tires are tracking very nicely. He has a two door, BTW.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:40 PM
JK Freak

Cool

I just took it for a drive and she feels rock solid :-)

I made a few changes:
Grade 8 9/16 x 4" bolts with hardened washers for all the lower control arms, Teraflex rectangular washers drilled out to 9/16" for the lower front axle mounts, Teraflex brace drilled out to 9/16" for the front axle trac bar mount, Grade 8 9/19" x 4" bolts with washers so the full shoulder of the bolt catches both sides of the frame and axle trac bar mount. Set the Currie front lower control arms(with Johhny joints on each end) to 23" which gave me a +5° caster setting. Also I've modified a Rubicon E-disco sway bar to manual and am working on a mounting bracket to tie it down(didn't come with the rubber mount or bolt) to the winch mount of the LOD front bumper. Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow :-)

Thanks guys

Jon aka 69mach1

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Got it. FYI, I helped Red-Dirt install his lift a few weeks back with a very similar configuration to yours. His rear axle centered up nicely with just the new TF trackbar relocation bracket, and he had an adjustable trackbar for the front axle that we centered up as I described above. Both tires are tracking very nicely. He has a two door, BTW.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Freak

Cool

The Sahara had it's maiden voyage today and performed flawlessly :-)
It was a great day in the desert!

I just took it for a drive and she feels rock solid :-)

I made a few changes:
Grade 8 9/16 x 4" bolts with hardened washers for all the lower control arms, Teraflex rectangular washers drilled out to 9/16" for the lower front axle mounts, Teraflex brace drilled out to 9/16" for the front axle trac bar mount, Grade 8 9/19" x 4" bolts with washers so the full shoulder of the bolt catches both sides of the frame and axle trac bar mount. Set the Currie front lower control arms(with Johhny joints on each end) to 23" which gave me a +5° caster setting. Also I've modified a Rubicon E-disco sway bar to manual and am working on a mounting bracket to tie it down(didn't come with the rubber mount or bolt) to the winch mount of the LOD front bumper. Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow :-)

Thanks guys

Jon aka 69mach1

Quick Reply: How to adjust Front & rear trac bar?