Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

how about this cheap upgrade?

Old 11-11-2009, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sethmark
Suspensions aren't setup that way. Most have a lot of down travel and a lot less up travel. The shock isn't setup neutrally.

You will find that there a lot of opinions on lift kits. LOTS. Most of opinions based on where someone already spent their money, not geometry, quality of components, etc....

Wheel travel is important, but not the end all be all. Tires, weight balance, lockers, driver skill... lots of things factor into how far down the trail you get.

Choose a quality lift with quality components and you're likely to get quality performance. But a lot of it is populatiry contest. I could throw out 4 names and you'd get the fanboys, the haters, and the in betweens. Few of them have actually pushed their cars to the limit with multiple kits under identical conditions to know what's really best.

You're in Florida. You might see some RTI ramps, but mostly its sand, mud, and a few rutted out roads. Tire selection is as important as anything else.

If you were in a different part of the country, you would have different needs. I dumped my 60s, atlas 700r4 TJ for a high hp CJ I built when I moved cross country. I needed to get power to the ground fast, not crawl.

Thanks, I got this point:

>>Suspensions aren't setup that way. Most have a lot of down travel and a >>lot less up travel. The shock isn't setup neutrally

So what you said is shocks are compressed more than neutral when traveling on flat road. Therefore, its up travel is less than down travel.

But just theoritically, which suspension kit gives more articulation, putting other factors out?
Old 11-11-2009, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, I have no idea. The answer is in who runs the longest extended length shock.

Don't tell anyone, but they're all going to be fairly close to the same. Wildly long shocks extended are also wildly long compressed, so there's not going to be anybody running a shock that's SUPER long travel.

Now here's where you can make some gains.... Off Road Evolution is offering kits with remote reservoir shocks which can be packaged a little longer than a standard shock with an internal res. Also they offer kits that utilize coilovers in completely new mounting brackets. THAT offers a whole host of advantages that are outside of the typical suspension kit. But the cost is greater. The performance gains from a set up like OREs is monunmental. They can control a LOT more than the typical coil, shock, arms kit. Coilovers allow for adjustable spring rate, ride height, rebound, compression etc...
Old 11-11-2009, 10:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfmanii
Hi, Robin

I am not sure if I understand you. Do you really think this is a good idea or
you made a sarcastic comment.

If you think this is a laughable idea, could you please explain the reason
you think it is bad?

Thanks!
sorry if you took it the wrong way, yes I was being sarcastic, my point was that as you already know you can fit 33s without changing much. it seem too obvious I actually didn't even think it was a real question my bad. it did seem to me like finding out that you can take the top off.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

You could buy a pair of used stock flares for cheap and experiment with modifying them to get the clearance you need. Maybe add a cheep spacer lift and get 32s to fit. PM me if you want my used stock flares for cheap.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:40 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by So_Cal_Tay_12
Dont take it personally, most of his posts consist of two emoticons

This doesnt mean as much. . .

When most posts are a simple approval or disapproval without explanation. . .
while I do answer sometimes with just an emoticon,specially when the question has been answer, or The OP is just showing off his jeep it doesn't mean I didn't read the thread, sorry I did not know we weren't aloud to do that, (there's that sarcasm again) why don't you show some of my real answers I'm sure there are plenty of...
Old 11-11-2009, 10:42 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
owned!!!!!
yea he really got me there.........
Old 11-11-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about you guys keep your penis measuring contests off line? The OP is asking real questions. Delete your junk and move the -F on.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
pwn3d. LOVE IT!

He's always sarcastic and contributes nothing, don't worry.

It is a good idea to cut the flares though. People have the flat fenders and sometimes, get body damage. They don't flex. I cut my factory flares, they bend indefinitely, and spring back up with no body damage. I'm on TF 2.5" with 35s. and still have about an inch more to rub on full flex.
come on sometimes I do contribute.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:59 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Sethmark
How about you guys keep your penis measuring contests off line? The OP is asking real questions. Delete your junk and move the -F on.
agree.........
Old 11-11-2009, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Seems like the main point is you don't need flat fenders to run 33's. If you're worried about clearance, you can get a leveling kit for a lot cheaper than flat fenders.

From a purely aesthetic perspective (just my opinion), flat fenders look goofy on anything smaller than 35" tires.

Quick Reply: how about this cheap upgrade?