Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

how about this cheap upgrade?

Old 11-09-2009, 08:45 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not laughable - lots of people have done it. Your net gain isn't much though, so I personally think its silly. If you're just after looks and you only pound the pavement, go for it!
Old 11-09-2009, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JackMac4
Its not laughable - lots of people have done it. Your net gain isn't much though, so I personally think its silly. If you're just after looks and you only pound the pavement, go for it!
JackMac:

Thanks, can you give the reasons on why you think the net gain is not much and it is silly?

My goal is to fit in 33 inch tire so I can go for medium level trails. I thought by
justting cutting the fender flare will give me room for the tire and keep the center of gravity low.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:23 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wolfmanii
My goal is to fit in 33 inch tire so I can go for medium level trails. I thought by justting cutting the fender flare will give me room for the tire and keep the center of gravity low.
Like PigInaJeep said...just install the 33's and you're good to go if that's all you're after. You'll gain ~1.5" of clearance over your current 30's with no suspensions mods. Check this thread as I'm sure many posts in here involved just a tire swap with no suspension mods at all.

Show your 33's

If you end up wanting some lift there are smaller spacer lifts out there that will net some more ground clearance for little cost but with 33's you won't need any lift.

Also - there is nothing cheap about upgrading to a good 33" off-road tire.

Last edited by HG07JKRubi; 11-09-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:05 PM
JK Freak

Unless you hate the looks, I'd leave the stock flares alone. Get a Teraflex leveling kit, and get whatever 33 inch tires you want. You'll get a small, but useful, lift that will level out your jeeps stance, and it will look great!
Old 11-09-2009, 12:31 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't mind sarcasm, but please give me some reasons on why you think so.

Thanks!
Dont take it personally, most of his posts consist of two emoticons

This doesnt mean as much. . .

When most posts are a simple approval or disapproval without explanation. . .
Old 11-09-2009, 02:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I heard one jeeper said:

install the best tire you can afford
keep the body as low as possible
There is a school of thought that says this is the way to go.

It definitely has it's merits...but I don't know that it's the ideal concept for all wheeling conditions (then again, what is?)

I think this is a better idea than following the guys that brag about how much total lift they have...especially when they're running a four inch body lift with four inches of stacked spacers

Larger tires add a lot to your capability....but longer suspension travel and increased approach, departure, and breakover angles all contribute to your rig's ability as well.

I don't think that you would regret putting Xenons on and going to 33's. Even if you decide that you need a suspension lift after the fact, flat fenders and 33's are not going to interfere with that, and there are lots of folks that went to flat fenders after getting a lift
Old 11-09-2009, 02:37 PM
JK Freak

It'll work, I'm still considering a on in BL and 35s wich is about the same as you (the OP) are suggesting just 35s over 33s. I may go with the new Tera Leveling kit over the BL though, either way the fenders will need to be coped or replaed with flats.

Also, Bushwacker hs a new flat fender out that looks really nice.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by So_Cal_Tay_12
Dont take it personally, most of his posts consist of two emoticons

This doesnt mean as much. . .

When most posts are a simple approval or disapproval without explanation. . .
owned!!!!!
Old 11-09-2009, 04:04 PM
JK Junkie

pwn3d. LOVE IT!

He's always sarcastic and contributes nothing, don't worry.

It is a good idea to cut the flares though. People have the flat fenders and sometimes, get body damage. They don't flex. I cut my factory flares, they bend indefinitely, and spring back up with no body damage. I'm on TF 2.5" with 35s. and still have about an inch more to rub on full flex.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
pwn3d. LOVE IT!

He's always sarcastic and contributes nothing, don't worry.

It is a good idea to cut the flares though. People have the flat fenders and sometimes, get body damage. They don't flex. I cut my factory flares, they bend indefinitely, and spring back up with no body damage. I'm on TF 2.5" with 35s. and still have about an inch more to rub on full flex.
I run the same setup and have the same situation (no kidding right?) but its a great setup, no complaints at all

And Im glad you all find my reasoning funny Always here for a good laugh

Quick Reply: how about this cheap upgrade?