Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

hot tranny oil

Old 07-15-2010, 09:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hot tranny oil

Just started towing a small 4x4 trailer behind my JK hot oil light came on. Dealer is telling me to install a 500.00 transmission externial cooler any info?
Old 07-15-2010, 09:11 AM
JK Freak

Default There

There are several write ups on this.
It is only about $250 max if you don't do it yourself. A good B&M cooler is $70 bucks plus your labor or about $150 labor and the cooler. I plan on doing one soon.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:14 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

While an aux cooler is an excellent idea, I would want to know why such a small trailer caused the tranny to overheat.

Was it around town?

Was O/D on, or did you turn it off?

Is your OEM cooler plugged with mud/leaves?

I pulled a 5X8 with 2000 lbs of wood pellets in it. It was 90°F outside. Didn't even get close to too hot. I don't have an aux cooler.
This was about 18 miles, last 6 miles in town, O/D off the whole trip.

Last edited by ronjenx; 07-15-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
While an aux cooler is an excellent idea, I would want to know why such a small trailer caused the tranny to overheat.
I concur, aux coolers go on all my auto trans out of general principle (see link). Also, I would imagine OD should be off for anything but flat level highway driving if towing unless the jeep is regeared. The JK tranny shifts way too often for my taste when OD is enabled.

http://home.comcast.net/~kingslea1/Jeep/Tranny.pdf
Old 07-17-2010, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redrunner
I concur, aux coolers go on all my auto trans out of general principle (see link). Also, I would imagine OD should be off for anything but flat level highway driving if towing unless the jeep is regeared. The JK tranny shifts way too often for my taste when OD is enabled.

http://home.comcast.net/~kingslea1/Jeep/Tranny.pdf
RedRunner!

Got a question for you. I've got an '09 2-Dr, which has the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. Obviously I don't want to void that in any way. I just checked with the Dealer yesterday, and they're asking $400 for a Tranny Oil Cooler, plus an additional $200'ish to install it. Looking at theirs, and then looking at the B&M, I'm inclined to believe that the B&M is a much better unit, not to mention cheaper. If I were to add the B&M, would that have any adverse effect on my Powertrain Warranty? I know I'd be covered if I had any problems with the Cooler, if I bought the Dealer's and had them install it, but seems a bit over-inflated on pricing.

I'm aware of the Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975. After reading on the Forums, where Dealer's are trying to VOID Jeeps with Lifts, and even going as far as Flagging them with Chrysler, I'm a little leary of doing any Mechanical Add-Ons without a from the Chrysler Group!

Thanks for any info you can provide! Any others please feel free to chime in as well!

Cheers!

BB
Old 07-17-2010, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slowburn
Just started towing a small 4x4 trailer behind my JK hot oil light came on. Dealer is telling me to install a 500.00 transmission externial cooler any info?
Bring in in for service they did mine for free under warranty.

Quick Reply: hot tranny oil