Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hot Gears

Old 01-27-2011, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bchoate79
yep they did all of that and gears looked good even checked pattern and it looked good. All was good intell hot smell.
Was the diff apart when they spun it? Did they spin each individual component (axle, carrier, pinion, etc)? Did they put it all back together and "drive" the vehicle while on the rack (up in the air)?

Did they acknowledge the loss of power or "boat achor" feel?

Brakes look good, not dragging? Any hot spots on the rotors? Is the parking brake on? If the lever is down, could the parking brake shoes be stuck in the lock position? Was this checked?
Old 01-27-2011, 07:51 PM
JK Newbie

when diff was apart they say they checked all i only seen carrier bearings also said they checked brake thats what i thought it was but when you go about twenty and shift to neutral jeep stops like you where putting on brakes i think gear guys messed up and tomorrow I'm telling them to redo hole job or refund and ill go some where else. There install guy said since there was no metal shavings so he doesn't no gears are set up perfect but i figure that the damage was already done to the pinion bearing or some thing don't no only that it was fine for five hundred miles then the dragging started.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:42 PM
JK Newbie

had owner of shop check it out he was very helpful and realized problem right away they are putting in new gears next week hope all goes well. Thanks for help
Old 01-28-2011, 09:48 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by bchoate79
had owner of shop check it out he was very helpful and realized problem right away they are putting in new gears next week hope all goes well. Thanks for help
Let us know what was wrong with the gears when you find out.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

OK i am stumped. Shop put new gears in rear and feels a little better had dealer check tranny they said every thing checked out. The gear shop thinks trannys no good dealer says gears are bad who knows. I took front drive shaft off and front seemed to have drag still but then i took off brakes and all was fine front and rear with out drive shafts seem to be about the same i can spin tires about one turn with both hands on them but as soon as you hook up rear shaft and put tranny in neutral you wont get much at all. I was thinking maybe front gears are dragging a little and i feel it because i am pushing around tires in front also when i shift in to four wheel it doesn't seem to make aload difference when driving in less i turn of course and i checked to make sure transfer case is shifting right and it is.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my opinion, which I am not a mechanic, is the tranny is messed up or not being programed correctly. Everything you have described is what I experienced when my new gears were installed and before the tranny was reprogrammed for the correct gear ratio and tire size. Since you have Hypertec, maybe try taking Jeep back to stock, hook up the programmer to computer and download the current update from Hypertec and then reprogram. Make sure you are inputting the correct tire height and the new gear ratio.

now this may not do anything at all, but worth a try just to make sure you have current programming and that you correctly inputting all information. And not saying that you are doing the programming incorectly, but mistakes do happen and you could very well have a bad programmer from Hypertec (doubtful, but can happen)
Old 02-13-2011, 12:27 AM
JK Freak

I also wonder if the shop installed the wrong ring and pinion, reverse cut vs standard, if the wrong ring and pinion can cause this problem to the tranny, like it's putting a different kind of load on the tranny?

if I read earlier post correctly, the rear end is spinning fine when the drive shaft is disconnected but starts the drag thing once reconnected.

I have no idea, just throwing out some ideas

Last edited by captjay; 02-13-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by captjay
I also wonder if the shop installed the wrong ring and pinion, reverse cut vs standard, if the wrong ring and pinion can cause this problem to the tranny, like it's putting a different kind of load on the tranny?
Don't even think it's possible to do that.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

I have taken programmer out and updated i have put back stock and then even tried larger tire sizes still does it. Don't believe it programmer because it was fine for about five hundred miles then all of this started tranny oil smells burnt but dealer says its under a load
Old 02-13-2011, 08:27 AM
JK Super Freak

I am curious to see how this comes out. I am regearing next week but I have 6 spped so I sholdnt have to worry about transmission and reprograming stuff. I would be careful what dealer says, my experience has been they generally dont know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Quick Reply: Hot Gears