Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hot Gears

Old 01-26-2011, 06:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did they free spin the axle with the vehicle in the air? Was it tight? Did they disconnect the driveshaft and then free spin the axles again? How did the teeth look on the gears? bluish in color? Was anything else done to the vehicle other than the gears?
Old 01-26-2011, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

yep they did all of that and gears looked good even checked pattern and it looked good. All was good intell hot smell.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Man hope you figure it out before something big and bad goes wrong , been wanting to do this myself . Keep us posted and good luck .
Old 01-26-2011, 07:55 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

What you wrote: "..gears sound louder now and tried to put hand on back axle and it was burning hot couldnt keep it there.."

That is what makes me think the problem is the gears.
However, those two things, sound and feel, are subjective.

What gear ratio did you have installed? 5.13 is bound to get hotter than 3.73.
My 4.10 rear axle gets to 140°F on a summer day, on the road. I can put my hand on that, but someone else may thinks it too hot to touch.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:29 PM
JK Newbie

I have 5.13 and temp was 160 with temp gun install guy said that was normal especially during break-en . They think my tranny jumps all over the place shifting i have noticed it to but figured it was under a load from gears.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by bchoate79
I have 5.13 and temp was 160 with temp gun install guy said that was normal especially during break-en . They think my tranny jumps all over the place shifting i have noticed it to but figured it was under a load from gears.
So, with your superchips, did you reprogram the gear ratio and tire size?
Old 01-26-2011, 09:16 PM
JK Newbie

yep tuners working fine all was good tell i had a hot smell not like gear oil more like brakes but checked brakes all good only thing i could think is maybe auto tranny clutches.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aren’t you the same person that said they keep having transmission problems? Do you think it could have something to do with that? If it smells hot than something is getting too hot. It is not totally out of the question for the installer to over fill the differential. If happens in the front, it will sling it on the exhaust and put off a smell. If it is coming from the differential you can take off the fill plug on the differential and smell it. If the smell is coming from the differential the smell will be strong.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:50 PM
JK Freak

Just to check... Have you looked at your Tranny fluid if it's not pink or a light shaded red than you def. need to change that... Specially if its black... Second... You really should drive up to 30-45 miles on it at a time to break them in and let them sit not just ten... that's not doing much... How many miles you got left... You know u have to change the front and rear diff fluid after 450-550 miles of the new gears installed.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

Yep tranny fluid is pink originally i thought it was tranny but dealer took a look and said it checked out but that tranny fluid a little burnt but i have taken it to sand dunes and pushed it pretty good diff fluid changed already all the problems started around five hundred miles on gears.

Quick Reply: Hot Gears