Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Horn/headlight problem.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn/headlight problem.

Hey guys over the weekend I removed my stock horn and installed a used air horn from my brother inlaw. It plugged right up to the stock wiring without any modifications. It worked for a few seconds then I blew the fuse. I replaced the 10 amp fuse with a 30 amp fuse and now it works fine. However when I blow the horn my headlights and fog lights flicker ever so slightly,Is there something else I should do or is there something wrong? By the way I have a 2011 rubi unlimited.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepRubi11
Hey guys over the weekend I removed my stock horn and installed a used air horn from my brother inlaw. It plugged right up to the stock wiring without any modifications. It worked for a few seconds then I blew the fuse. I replaced the 10 amp fuse with a 30 amp fuse and now it works fine. However when I blow the horn my headlights and fog lights flicker ever so slightly,Is there something else I should do or is there something wrong? By the way I have a 2011 rubi unlimited.
The first thing you did wrong is replace a 10 amp fuse with a 30 amp fuse. That's asking for trouble.
Not only is the wiring inadequate for 30 amps, I'll bet the relay is marginally capably of carrying 30 amps.

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-05-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take that thirty amp fuse out. You ARE over drawing the horn circuit. You WILL have problems. Research aftermarket horn kits for options.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys didn't realize that.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Run a #10 wire from the battery to a relay, and from the relay to the new horn. Use the stock horn wire to trigger the relay. Put a 30 amp fuse or circuit breaker in the #10 wire as close to the battery as possible. If you arn't familiar with how to wire a relay, there should be tons of how-to write-ups on this site or elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Horn/headlight problem.