Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

hood scoop??????

Old 05-20-2009, 06:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rjhoop
Just DO it!

Put some thought into it first. Make the filter attach to the under hood and have it seal onto the intake. A thought though: water. Either put drain holes in the filter box or turn it around, so you down ram water into the engine.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is actually a project on down the list but I have been looking at the TMD design. They come with a plenum underneath that funnels the air to the air box location. From the prices I can find, it is definitely less expensive than the whole hood they sell. Now, what I can't find is whether they modified a TJ scoop or if TMD made them one specific for the JK. Plus if you look at the all of the photos you can see they don't interfere with the "x" brace of the hood.
http://www.burnsvilleoffroad.com/Articles/05_21_07.aspx

Now I know that doesn't help your current situation. I personally don't like the front looks of your scoop. However, if you slide it back a little you could get away with cutting a hole that doesn't mess with the brace underneath...no one says it has to be circular. I would vote Nay to the scoop and Nay to the fender color but Yay to the concept and Yay to matching the body color. Good luck and post up pics with what you choose
Old 05-20-2009, 07:45 AM
wdb
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brian_crystal
This is actually a project on down the list but I have been looking at the TMD design. They come with a plenum underneath that funnels the air to the air box location. From the prices I can find, it is definitely less expensive than the whole hood they sell. Now, what I can't find is whether they modified a TJ scoop or if TMD made them one specific for the JK. Plus if you look at the all of the photos you can see they don't interfere with the "x" brace of the hood.
http://www.burnsvilleoffroad.com/Articles/05_21_07.aspx

Now I know that doesn't help your current situation. I personally don't like the front looks of your scoop. However, if you slide it back a little you could get away with cutting a hole that doesn't mess with the brace underneath...no one says it has to be circular. I would vote Nay to the scoop and Nay to the fender color but Yay to the concept and Yay to matching the body color. Good luck and post up pics with what you choose
I hate that website.
My JK sucks.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think it doesn't look bad. If you want to make it a functional ram air hood you might want to see if air actually hits that part of the hood when you are at speed. If the air doesn't flow across the hood where you put it it will be like the 60's GTO, a scope on the hood that doesn't do anything.

I do like the idea and breaking up the flat jeep hood is not an easy thing to do. I say do it and post pics when you are done so everyone can see it look the same as it does it the pics you already took. I do think that if you could take the time to smooth it into the hood and paint it all one color it would be sweet, but I get what you are doing.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

i say go for it. but only if it's gonna be functional. im thinkin about getting a functional one too. if you've seen the one on the newer toyota tacomas, those are sweet looking. oem too, right out of the factory. comes with the TRD package i think? anyways, i like your scoop. looks real slick. you should post up on the performance. and if you gain or lose anything from putting it on.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you do install it paint it to match the hood...but i would say NAY !
Old 05-21-2009, 01:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

On the fence, but I wouldn't knock ya for trying. It could be cool if done right and some thought put into it.

That being said, it's not something I would do, but I'm not you
Old 05-21-2009, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I vote for reversing the scoop, and using it for an engine bay hot air escape. This should also reduce the high speed hood lift. And paint it the color of your hood.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scooter Scott
Its actually on the x-runner model:

that thing looks very short dont ya think
Old 05-04-2011, 11:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A rivet gun and sawzall made these cheap scoops functional on my old XJ. And yes they were painted. I am considering doing this to my JK but reversed.

Quick Reply: hood scoop??????