Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hood scoop

Old 12-31-2010, 10:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood scoop

One simple question...
I've seen this hood scoops that go over the small grille in front of the windshiel. I know they can be installed with the opening facing forward or backwards. So, the question is:
Is from this grille that the air conditioner sucks air from the outside? If yes, will the scoop help reduce the bad smell of smoke -from other cars- when installed facing backwards (when not recirculating air inside).... If not, what are this scoops for?

Thnx
Old 01-01-2011, 06:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, that is the vent where the air conditioner sucks from (when not in recirculate mode). I would think that putting a hood scoop on would not affect any of the smells that you might have coming from other cars outside. The smells from other cars are completely distributed through the air so there is no way to shield your AC intake from them. The only way I could think of to help keep the smells from poorly running cars out of your Jeep would be to turn your AC on recirculate when you see them pass you, that way you don't suck any air from outside.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tpm152
Yes, that is the vent where the air conditioner sucks from (when not in recirculate mode). I would think that putting a hood scoop on would not affect any of the smells that you might have coming from other cars outside. The smells from other cars are completely distributed through the air so there is no way to shield your AC intake from them. The only way I could think of to help keep the smells from poorly running cars out of your Jeep would be to turn your AC on recirculate when you see them pass you, that way you don't suck any air from outside.
Yes, thats what i nornally do, but sometimes i just remember to hit the recirculate button a little too late :P (i don't understand why the recirculate can't stay on forever, like all of the other cars i've owned, including a Grand Cherokee).
So then, what is the nain function of the hood scoop? I may think when it is pointng forward, may help air flow into the intake, but what is the point to install it backwards then?
Old 01-01-2011, 06:45 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by bingote
One simple question...
I've seen this hood scoops that go over the small grille in front of the windshiel. I know they can be installed with the opening facing forward or backwards. So, the question is:
Is from this grille that the air conditioner sucks air from the outside? If yes, will the scoop help reduce the bad smell of smoke -from other cars- when installed facing backwards (when not recirculating air inside).... If not, what are this scoops for?

Thnx
Non-functional ornamentation.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

That's what i was afraid of...
Anyone knows why the recirculate can't just remain ON like most other cars? Is it bad for the AC or something?
Old 01-01-2011, 07:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bingote
That's what i was afraid of...
Anyone knows why the recirculate can't just remain ON like most other cars? Is it bad for the AC or something?
I think there is actually a write-up somewhere on this forum as to how you can wire it to always stay.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:31 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I've "heard" that they are supposed to help the defroster work better. That would be a good thing.....
Old 01-01-2011, 01:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
When pointed towards the windshield they prevent snow from getting down there when parked in the winter
Old 01-01-2011, 01:59 PM
JK Newbie

a scoop installed rear-facing near the windshield acts as a cowl-induction, which actually produces more of a push of air than facing it forward. how you ask? engineering! has to do with the high pressure area at the base of the windshield when the vehicle is moving. as a vehicle travels forward air encounters the windshield, is momentarily compressed, and then flows around it. with higher speeds, pressure builds. placing an air intake in this high pressure zone takes advantage of this "boost" and gives you a slightly higher volume of air, maybe a couple psi at best.

important part is that vehicle/wind speed is the dominant factor here. and jeeps are not race cars.. so yeah it's, for all practicality, ornamental

nick
Old 01-01-2011, 02:33 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mjolnir
When pointed towards the windshield they prevent snow from getting down there when parked in the winter
That would be handy.....because I've noticed that a couple times when I haven't warmed the jeep up long enough, and if we had some fresh snow, it gets sucked into the heater system and creates a lot of extra moisture which promptly freezes to the inside of the windshield. Like I said...."IF" I don't let it warm up long enough. These scoops are cheap enough, I wouldn't mind trying one just to see if they indeed help with the defrost. Anyone that lives in pretty cold climates learns pretty quick that the jk's defroster isn't that efficient. Being in AK. as you would imagine, I use mine a lot this time of year.

Quick Reply: Hood scoop