Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hood/Louver Project

Old 12-17-2013, 07:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rhinoline won't give you a clean finish and it'll trap dirt. If you elect to go that route then my hat is off to you, but it won't come clean with a regular wash.

I would try the plastidip and see how you feel about it. If you like it then get Maaco to shoot the hood black for $100. If not then peel it up and sell the hood locally then fall back to your gecko hood.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2013, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Black hoods on a brightly coloured anything looks unfinished IMO. Keep the louvre black and the hood the original color. You can get matte black paint options that still retain a clear coat quality/protection.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SKTN Rubi
Black hoods on a brightly coloured anything looks unfinished IMO. Keep the louvre black and the hood the original color. You can get matte black paint options that still retain a clear coat quality/protection.
agreed, but it is your jeep

Where are you located? I know a shop that had a stack of hoods they'd probably love to sell one for super cheap

Last edited by COStrider; 12-17-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by COStrider
agreed, but it is your jeep Where are you located? I know a shop that had a stack of hoods they'd probably love to sell one for super cheap
thanks for the lead but getting another hood isnt the issue. I can get my father in laws cheap. Only reason i am considering this is for that reason. I dont think i could saw my perfect green hood for a louvre at this point cause id cry while doing it haha. But i have an op. The get one with no emotional attachment which i think i could make look awesome but practical.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:53 AM
JK Newbie

What if you bedlined the hood and got the louver painted to match your paint?
Old 12-17-2013, 12:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mikestoick
thanks for the lead but getting another hood isnt the issue. I can get my father in laws cheap. Only reason i am considering this is for that reason. I dont think i could saw my perfect green hood for a louvre at this point cause id cry while doing it haha. But i have an op. The get one with no emotional attachment which i think i could make look awesome but practical.
Sounds like you have great options! Post up when you get to the completed stage please
Old 12-17-2013, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

UPADTE: got the hood for free! Im gonna bedline the hood then gecko the louver.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mikestoick
UPADTE: got the hood for free! Im gonna bedline the hood then gecko the louver.
FREE?! You got ripped off! Lol. Jk. Pics or it didn't happen
Old 12-18-2013, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by COStrider
FREE?! You got ripped off! Lol. Jk. Pics or it didn't happen
serious! Gfs dad lovess me haha. So really would a black hood look bad fellow jeepers? Id go with a gecko louver. I could black paint (least favorite option), paint the hood green like the one i already have and benefit only in that i dont have to cut into my favtory hood for the louver. In this case id make the louver black. Orrr i could bedline the hood black, go with a gecko louver, orrrrrrrrrr powder coat with like a crinkle coat and have a green louver. Side note: im lucky, i have easy access to all options. Work at a machine shop and a guy would probably powder coat for free.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

As my jeep sits, it looks like this. I could take of the pastidipped grille if it looked btr. Dont ridicule my for lack of a lift, 35s, lockers or regearing from my stupid 321s. All in good time
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3696259754.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	517669   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1264264539.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	517670  

Quick Reply: Hood/Louver Project