Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hood Lock?

Old 05-11-2007, 01:56 PM
JJK
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, that's the one. No drilling required, just take the grill of, it installs in minutes.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Installation of Rugged Ridge Hood Lock

Not really an easy job and mostly due to the fact that I was unsure on how the front grille detaches. Thus I had to do the whole installation by carefully bending the grille so I could fit my hands. Quality wise the rugged ridge hood lock is not top, however taking into account the $20 price tag it seems a fair value for money.

The installation directions are quite correct besides the fact that there are some differences in the way the front grille attaches to the top and no mentioning on the lower attachment points disassembly process (it just states "carefully remove the lower anchoring points of the Grille"!!!)

Other than that I found that in order for the lock to work right whenever you want to lock or unlock it you have to have to press with one hand the hood latch whilst with the other hand unlocking with the key.

The thing that bothers me is that I have to carry around two keys, however the Mopar Lock was unavailable at the time I ordered the rugged ridge one plus the fact that I have read some bad reviews and thought $20 bucks is a long way from $130 for something that may not work well.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4JEXEP4
I think some of you guys are missing the point here. The locks are not to give you
[SIZE=2][COLOR=white]Fort Knox security with these locks. If a crook truly wants to get your stuff they will, no matter what.
how right you are!! some people are looking for something that doesnt exist; if you can get under your hood, a thief can get under your hood!

i have heard some complain that these hood locks can be defeated with a screwdriver; maybe, maybe not, but i guarantee you that a dirtbag with a set of small boltcutters will cut through your homemade bicycle cable set-up just as fast.

i don't know about where you live but around here, the hot ticket now is to steal catalytic converters from vehicles in broad daylight in residential streets and busy parking lots. the point being--if they want it, they will take it!

your best bet is to slow them down and make them go to another jeep. so i will keep my $19.95 hood lock and park next to a jeep whose owner thought it was a piece of crap not worth his time. good luck
Old 05-01-2008, 03:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the MOPAR self keying lock that automatically keys it's self to the JK's key
it is awesum
the mechanics had no idea how to open hood even though i always write on work order that the key opens hood even then when they have the key in they are like that cheap key lock isn't working i go back and push down on hood turn the key and it works fine ....then i tell them cheap huh 265$ cdn from their parts counter,,

"there is nothing cheap on my jeep"

the service guy asked why i had that on hmmm lets see undo the 2 latches and anyone can get under hood unlike other cars when u lock the car the activation lever is in the locked passenger compartment of the car/truck

"oh makes sense i guess" unreal
Old 05-03-2008, 06:52 PM
JK Freak

Someone really had to do some digging to find this thread. It's been a year since anyone wrote in this thread.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 4JEXEP4
Someone really had to do some digging to find this thread. It's been a year since anyone wrote in this thread.
Well I've seen to many times where people get on the person asking the questions about NOT using search first se here we are searching for hood locks.
But I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask the question pretty soon because I'm not finding much LOL!!
Old 11-12-2010, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

here's the chrysler one, bit pricey but it keys to the ignition key.

http://wyckoffchryslerparts.com/Scri...product=296707
Old 11-12-2010, 07:49 AM
JK Freak

I guess this thread has to make an annual appearance.

Originally Posted by hdrider
we are searching for hood locks.
I had the Mopar hood lock installed on my JK within days of purchase. I don't at all like the idea of anyone being able to pop open my hood and mess around in there. A bit expensive, but works great.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

Anyone ever tried using locking hood-pins? I've got a set for my 67 Fairlane but I haven't installed them, yet. The downside is that you have to drill holes in your hood. The upside is they're pretty secure. Properly installed, they look nice on old muscle cars but I don't recall ever seeing any on a Jeep.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Just did a google search and came up with some pics of standard hood pins installed so I imagine locking ones will work just as well. Looks pretty good, IMO. The locking ones are nearly flush, as well, with a key-hole on top.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/rokm...ins-49833.html (I hope linking to another forum is cool. Apologies if not.)

Quick Reply: Hood Lock?