Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hood Latch

Old 07-16-2011, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the looks of thr Drake, but have other upgrades to do for that money. I use the Daystars.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Old 07-16-2011, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

For no money, take the spring out from under the hood (2 easy to remove nuts I think). Keep it in a zip lock in your basement/garage. Wait two weeks and see what happens. I did and the flutter disappeared. No wrangling with parts or spending money on parts and shipping.

Just an idea that is proven.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeep2007
there is a write up on how to do homemade Drake latches.. its really sick. I have the daystars.
do you have the link?
Old 07-16-2011, 07:36 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Mount a hi-lift on the hood, that should keep it from fluttering...
Old 07-16-2011, 10:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OzzyPotter
For no money, take the spring out from under the hood (2 easy to remove nuts I think). Keep it in a zip lock in your basement/garage. Wait two weeks and see what happens. I did and the flutter disappeared. No wrangling with parts or spending money on parts and shipping.

Just an idea that is proven.
This sounds like an urban legend. So you are saying to put a spring in a zip lock bag for two weeks and the hoof latches will tighten up from the lack of the spring pushing them outward? I went with the Daystars too. Don’t remove the mounts from the Jeep just twist the pins in two and install the new parts.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeep-girl
I had the same problem with the hood and decided to do some research on this. A few mention that if you just remove the spring, it should stop the fluttering. Another fix is using zip-ties. I do not recall exactly the trick to it, but it's not something you have to snip and re-tie every time you wish to open the hood.

I'll post it if I can find the link again...
I did the zip-tie quick fix and you do not have to reinstall new ones everytime you open the hood. Just undo and redo the hood as normal. The added ziptie tension adds a nice "snap" when you close the rubber fastener.

I would think every few months or so I will be replacing the zipties just due to plastic fatigue being exposed to the elements for so long. But it is a great quick fix.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:22 AM
JK Newbie

X2 on the zip ties. I also took out the hood spring. I have only replaced 1 zip tie iin 8 months. Haven't had a hint of flutter since. Cost was $0.99 for the zip ties. One of the easiest mods yet.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by adrom
do you have the link?
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...hlight=flutter

Great write up!
Old 07-17-2011, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeep-girl
I had the same problem with the hood and decided to do some research on this. A few mention that if you just remove the spring, it should stop the fluttering. Another fix is using zip-ties. I do not recall exactly the trick to it, but it's not something you have to snip and re-tie every time you wish to open the hood.

I'll post it if I can find the link again...

Removing the spring works!!!

Quick Reply: Hood Latch