Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

hood hack

Old 05-19-2009, 02:21 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tboginski
I'm thinking about hacking my hood up and installing some vents to get more cooler air in there..maybe on the top and the sides...anybody got any ideas or suggestions on what to use for vents?

Others have done hood vents/louvers, and as mentioned AEV's hood has the feature. I'm guessing it would indeed have the effect of venting hot air, finding the most effective combo will be the key. I like the vents on that SUV you posted, would be subtle and functional, just don't know how effective they would be.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by chuck45
What does WaterWetter do?

A 180 degree thermostat has been discussed before; I think it was pointed out that Autozone stocked on for the JK. But at that time nobody said that they had been running it. There was some concern about how it would affect the computer management of the engine. Have you used one in a JK (I've used a 180, and 165 for that matter, in plenty of other vehicles) and if so what did you notice? If using one can accomplish a 15 degree drop (in conjunction with a change of fan speed settings) with no bad effects I'll happily buy one.
WaterWetter is great stuff. The way it works is it increases the surface tension of water or coolant. This decreases the size of air bubbles around heated up parts through the water jacket allowing them to cool more efficiently. More surface contact, better cooling and similar to what you might see on the bottom of a pot of water before it boils the air bubbles would be smaller as Water Wetter holds on to the surface better. I started using it in my Chevelle which really doesn't like to stand still in traffic and it's widely used in racing engines.

I do run a 180 degree T-stat in the JK during the summer months. It will throw a CEL without a programmer and conversely a programmer set to 180 degrees without a matching T-stat will throw a DTC, leaving a fan relay open. Always set the fan on temperature 10-20 degrees higher than the thermostat. I always check them on the stove in some water when doing the winter/summer swap to make sure they are opening at the right temperature and because I'm too cheap to just throw them away when they are working fine. It also builds a little excitement into my household every time my wife sees me using the stove to cook or bake auto parts.

In case no one noticed, the stock water temperature gauge on the JK is pretty much worthless. It will peg itself straight up and dead center through the entire operating temperature range. So whether your coolant temperature is at 180 or 230 that gauge is dead center, but you can smile and be happy because Chrysler wanted to make sure your vehicle is running perfectly all the time.

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
but.....but.....but........but.....if it's not overheatin, why bother?
I did a lot of work to build efficiencies into my JK because it's not just a weekend toy for me but a daily driver. I had a long commute and also a lot of long road trips for work and pleasure. I did things that build efficiencies and often did them collectively so I can't really tell you how much any one of them helped. What I do know is that my JK gets gas mileage that others shake their head at in disbelief and as an added bonus makes some additional power with heat relief under the hood.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:32 AM
JK Jedi Master

I used waterwetter in my Chevy 350 in my old willys, that stuff really works
Old 05-19-2009, 05:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Eugene
Back on topic. Awhile ago I was looking into what you are talking about. What I did find on a boat supply site was all sorts of vents. The one that interested me was one that was about 3x12 that would fit nicely along the sides of the hood (where the sticker is). I figure putting it here would vent the engine bay, and being almost vertical it would limit the amount of rain and such from falling into the engine compartment. I also looked into some high volume electric fans that could be mounted near the wheel wells, somewhere around the headers. Some of these fans which are quite small move in excess of 300 cfm. What might work is a combination of the 2. A small vent that was hooked to a fan. Just some food for thought. Sorry if I hijacked.
perfect....thank you do you remember the web site by chance?
Old 05-19-2009, 05:34 AM
JK Freak

i ordered these

so when i cut the hood, what should i do about the paint?
have that area resprayed?

if that's the case i'm thinking about spraying both sides black. just the lip or part that's folded down.

comments?suggestions?
Old 05-19-2009, 07:03 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember there was a Mercedes S class that got very hot under the hood, over time it would fry the wire looms and cause shorts.

I hope that doesn't start happening with the JKs.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tboginski
i ordered these

so when i cut the hood, what should i do about the paint?
have that area resprayed?

if that's the case i'm thinking about spraying both sides black. just the lip or part that's folded down.

comments?suggestions?
hey they look good. how much and where? and as far as the paint, i would outline it in black, about 1/4" to 3/8" and do both sides
Old 05-30-2009, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

i think the one syou ordered are best for where you live. Even the rock trails up here your still gonan get mud and water. Those functional hood vents are for the moab boys or the west coast guys. In VA we will in the woods throught the mud and the only thin i plan on doing to my hood is a snorkel and maybe gettign a better electric fan for the radiator.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well?? Bump for installed pics! Heres some GenRight Louvers i put on my old Tj, i cant really tell you if it helped, made me feel better and it looks great to me. I want a snorkel because that is really pulling cooler air into the engine, but vents always look good/different and i hate seeing the heat vapors coming off my hood. Anyways...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-772853852.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	280705  
Old 02-21-2012, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe instead of trying to force cold air in on top of the hood against rising heat you would be better off with an electric fan in the hood blowing the hot air out through a vent. Don't a lot of rock crawler guys put fans in the hood to blow air out when moving real slow to help rid hot air from under the hood.

Quick Reply: hood hack