Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

hood hack

Old 05-18-2009, 06:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could just put a heat register like this...(see pic) so if you go in mud,water or a rainy day you can close it. So your engine don't get wet.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is that a floor vent from a moble home?
Old 05-18-2009, 08:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Is that a floor vent from a moble home?
Yup. Sure is.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tboginski
ok hijackers......back on topic....i'm cutting my hood and installing vents with the intent to:

a. get better air flow in there

b. keep the engine compartment cooler (nope, not over heating, i just WANT TO)

and

c. Look bad ass

anybody have any ideas on the best way to DO THIS?

p.s. I have a CAI, it made my jeep have more pep.
If you disagree with this you can argue till your face turns blue.
I drove my Jeep before and after so i'm pretty sure I would know.
Hay, I wasn't tryin to hijack or turn blue. I was just tryin to tell you that after all that work and money, you might not get the results you expect. Cut your Jeep in half for all I care. Just remember if you ever have to sell it, nobody wants a cut up piece of shit.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny2565
I installed an S&B intake last year.(I won't call it a "Cold Air" intake because those words seem to get everyone's little pink panties in a wad.) I did a very unscientific test to see if the air was any cooler between the factory box and aftermarket box. I used an indoor/outdoor thermometer and put the remote sensor in the box. After getting the engine warmed up, I went for a ride. The temp in the box varied depending on the speed I was going but was usually around 20 to 30 degrees hotter than the outside temp.
I did the same thing after putting on the S&B and the box temp ran about 10 to 15 degrees cooler than the factory box.
So after looking at both boxes, I came up with my conclusion. If you look at the factory box, the air intake sits against the top of the hood. And when the engine heats up, where does the heat go; it rises and sits under the hood. My aftermarket intake has the hole in the side of the box facing the fender. So in addition to not sucking in air that is sitting against the hood, it has better access to air coming up from beside the fender.
well I'd really like to see what your intake temps are with an aeroforce gauge, it will tell you that along with 30+ other readings, buy one get back to me and I'll let you know what mine temps are with my snorkel...I'll give you a hint its better then the temps you say you are getting
Old 05-18-2009, 09:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tboginski
ok hijackers......back on topic....i'm cutting my hood and installing vents with the intent to:

a. get better air flow in there

b. keep the engine compartment cooler (nope, not over heating, i just WANT TO)

and

c. Look bad ass

anybody have any ideas on the best way to DO THIS?

p.s. I have a CAI, it made my jeep have more pep.
If you disagree with this you can argue till your face turns blue.
I drove my Jeep before and after so i'm pretty sure I would know.

Back on topic. Awhile ago I was looking into what you are talking about. What I did find on a boat supply site was all sorts of vents. The one that interested me was one that was about 3x12 that would fit nicely along the sides of the hood (where the sticker is). I figure putting it here would vent the engine bay, and being almost vertical it would limit the amount of rain and such from falling into the engine compartment. I also looked into some high volume electric fans that could be mounted near the wheel wells, somewhere around the headers. Some of these fans which are quite small move in excess of 300 cfm. What might work is a combination of the 2. A small vent that was hooked to a fan. Just some food for thought. Sorry if I hijacked.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm thinking about hood vents as well.
Anyone else notice on cooler days that when you come to a stop after driving for a bit that you can actually see steam coming out the front grille of the JK?
I have owned Jeeps since I was 16 and I have never seen that before....
Old 05-18-2009, 10:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JPop
OK, the recipe to reduce under hood heat.

2 bottles Redline WaterWetter

Black Satin coating for exhaust manifold or headers.

180 degree T-stat and programmer to kick the fan on under 200 degrees.

Before you even get to a vented heat reduction hood you've reduced your under hood heat by 20-30 degrees.
What does WaterWetter do?

A 180 degree thermostat has been discussed before; I think it was pointed out that Autozone stocked on for the JK. But at that time nobody said that they had been running it. There was some concern about how it would affect the computer management of the engine. Have you used one in a JK (I've used a 180, and 165 for that matter, in plenty of other vehicles) and if so what did you notice? If using one can accomplish a 15 degree drop (in conjunction with a change of fan speed settings) with no bad effects I'll happily buy one.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I vented my Cherokee by cutting six 3" holes (three in a row per side) near the center of the hood and then covering them with reversed hood scoops. The scoops had small lips below the opening to direct water away. It was amazing how much cooler the XJ ran. I'm thinking of doing something similar to my JK, but haven't worked up the nerve yet.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoBonnetVents.htm

This site is for XJ but a lot of topics for all.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/

Quick Reply: hood hack