Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

hood hack

Old 05-18-2009, 08:45 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck45
Please explain the mechanism by which putting in a K&N filter or a "cold air intake" will make a Jeep run cooler. Where is this mythical cold air being pulled from.
Yeah. I'm all ears on this myself. Especially since NO ONE makes a cold air intake for the JK. Even so, it's doubtful if someone did that it would make a difference in engine temp.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I can think of a lot better reason to "hack" up your hood. The AEV snorkel for one. Are you having overheating issues? If so, I think you're in the minority. Are you sure you just don't want Hummer lookin vents?
Don't want a snokel.
No overheating issues at all. I Just want better airflow over my cold air intake. And I like the look of the side vents on a hummer (not crazy about the big one on the top of the hood) but I want them on the side of the hood not the fender.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:56 AM
Former Member

I think the louvers from the 5.9 ZJ would be really cool and still keeping it in the Jeep family.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nlgrav182
I think the louvers from the 5.9 ZJ would be really cool and still keeping it in the Jeep family.

I like those too. Good call.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:.
Very sweet. But not in the budget. :-(
Old 05-18-2009, 11:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tboginski
Don't want a snokel.
No overheating issues at all. I Just want better airflow over my cold air intake. And I like the look of the side vents on a hummer (not crazy about the big one on the top of the hood) but I want them on the side of the hood not the fender.
I understand. You need to understand somethin, though. You don't have a "cold air intake". Nobody makes one for the JK. Nobody. Unless the filter is OUTSIDE the engine compartment, which none are as of yet, you are sucking in hot engine air. Any vents you add in the hood will not have any noticable effect whatsoever other than appearance.....and maybe get stuff wet that ain't designed to get wet. It would be different if you could somehow seal the filter to whatever vents you cut in the hood. THEN you'd be onto somethin. But if your design does not cut out under hood altogether, you're just wasting your time....and sheet metal. It's your Jeep though, and if you follow through, post pics. It might at least look cool.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Google Run Cool Hood Louvers, it's the first link. I really thought about getting a pair since the stock electric fan is shit lol They claim monstrous temp. decreases, plus the louvers look pretty cool...
Old 05-18-2009, 12:53 PM
JK Freak

The cai I have does have a somewhat sealed off area from the engine compartment, though I'm sure not fully sealed. My thinking was if I could have a vent into that compartment it might pull less from the engine compartment and more fresh outside air.

check this!

http://www.raceace.com/pic/car27.jpg

Last edited by tboginski; 05-18-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tahts is a really cool idea
hoods are expensive diy is great
Old 05-18-2009, 03:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JoeBlob
The CAI box has heat shields that block engine heat whereas the standard airbox is just plastic. Seems like I read about a test that proved temps were about 13 degrees cooler inside a CAI box and that translated to +5 or +6hp.
I don't buy the claimed numbers and even if I did, and even if they were true, I seriously doubt it would have any impact on engine temp at all.

To seriously lower the temp I think we'd need a bigger "desert cooler" style radiator, a lower temp thermostat, the fan coming on sooner, maybe a higher capcity fan, high capacity trans cooling (so an overheated trans doesn't use the engine as a heat sink, and some serious venting of the air under the hood.

Quick Reply: hood hack