Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hood Gap... Have I bent my hinges?

Old 03-28-2016, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clos0791
I'm going to the dealer on Thursday and see what they say. My fear is that they mess something up, and then I come out worse. New Jeeps are not made like most cars and trucks. The body lines and gaps are not all perfect. Us having OCD, and being jeep owners, does not help. I literally had to stop myself from looking at all the details of my new jk because the more I looked, the more imperfections I found. LOL! Nonetheless, I love my Jeep, I would buy it again in a heart beat. Thanks for the quick response. I will post on Thursday after they "fix" it. I will take you up on the offer regarding the templates for the plates. Carlos So Cal.
Best of luck to you bro... So Cal, what part?

Last edited by BAJA TYM; 03-28-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't blame the wife and kids because they gave them to you. They wouldn't know what to buy you if you didn't give them the idea.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dahreno
Don't blame the wife and kids because they gave them to you. They wouldn't know what to buy you if you didn't give them the idea.
Not true, the idea didn't come from me, my wife did it all on her own. You may not be aware, but women have minds of their own. As to my wife, she's a hell of a lot more intelligent then I am. This was a year ago... At first I didn't see the need, but after using them for a year I love them. They're actually a pretty cool mod. I recommend them to everyone. Not having that center support rod in the way really opens up access to the engine bay.

As to blame, WTF are you trolling about? Did you bother to read the thread? I was pretty clear as to where they came from and why I installed them. I'm about as honest as one can be, are you inferring that I'm not being truthful? Is so, go eat some dick with a side of goat balls. I'm a painfully honest man... I'm open, honest, and transparent to the point of absurdity. So what gives with your response?
Old 07-17-2017, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

Hi there. I actually never gave up on this project, i bought the dominion off road kit which actually uses a lower pressure strut, replaced the struts that came with the mopar kit (i wanted to keep the no drilling setup) and right away things improved, they are still just a little bit too forward but i also got the warrior hood hinge spacer kit and am currently having these repainted to my body color. I am thinking these will be the perfect finish to the otherwise unpredictability of the JK's hood reaction to hood struts. These hood hinge kit spacers appears to have been copied straight out of your notebook OP, wat u think? Bet they read your post and started manufacturing I know that I need this hood lift kit to work... and now i'm finally seeing the (happy) end of this saga. Thanks OP.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure mine had an uneven gap from the factory.... it can be pretty annoying i know. Scratches and minor imperfections in the paint doesn't really bother me. But if my body panels have dents or are out of alignment it drives me nuts. I have been known to stare at my jeep for 30-45 min trying to figure out if something is off by just a hare and if so how in the F am i going to fix it. Good luck to you man.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by clos0791
Hello, I have a 15 Sahara and I have a larger gap on the drivers side than the passenger's. It's a brand new jeep with less than 1,000 miles and i never installed hood struts. In my case, it looks like it's a factory defect. I even went to the dealer to look at new 16 models and a few also had the same gap as mine. I think your struts had nothing to do with your gaps, they most likely came from factory. I am sure many jeepers out there have the same thing but don't notice it or don't care. I am also OCD. So I need to find a fix.

I called the dealer and they said they will fix it for me since I'm under warranty and the jeep is new. How? Don't know. Hopefully they fix it, and maybe they get this type of complaint and dealt with them before. Anyway, I'm glad you found a solution. I may end up doing the same thing. Do you think I can take care of this by just installing one plate on the drivers side and not the passengers?

Thanks you so much for any advice and for this long post.
I'm with you on this.. i have a 2014 JK and mine has an uneven gap from one side to the other. And since i noticed this issue on mine i started looking at similar year JKs and there are a lot like this. I would bet that 20% have something going on in this hood gap cowl area, some more than others but they are there. Somehow they are leaving the factory like this.. either not being caught by QC or not a big enough issue to fix.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by YukonBlu
I'm with you on this.. i have a 2014 JK and mine has an uneven gap from one side to the other. And since i noticed this issue on mine i started looking at similar year JKs and there are a lot like this. I would bet that 20% have something going on in this hood gap cowl area, some more than others but they are there. Somehow they are leaving the factory like this.. either not being caught by QC or not a big enough issue to fix.
I took my jeep to the dealer a few months ago and they took care of the gap in no time. I don't know how they did it but it's all good now. Even on both sides. I thought they were going to adjust the hood latches and they would have to paint and stuff. It took maybe 10 minutes for them to fix.

Quick Reply: Hood Gap... Have I bent my hinges?