Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

honest rough country reviews?

Old 12-14-2010, 10:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've run RC lifts on my JK for over 2 years now and I wouldn't change a thing. I went through the whole spring sagging issue but they made everything right. When I decided to go to a 4" kit they gave me a sweet hook-up on their X-series kit and I have beaten the piss out of it for the last 4 months with zero issues.

I've run some pretty tough trails here in SoCal with some hard core rock crawling and I'd say that RC holds up just as well as the others. Every company has their issues; the good ones make things right without charging the customer for manufacturer defects.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:54 AM
ksk
JK Enthusiast

3 years now and still going strong, haven't changed a thing on it....

KSK
Old 12-14-2010, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

I have the RC 4" coil lift. Im in the process of changing out the lift for a FT setup. The negatives are obviously the cam bolts that came with my lift, and the rubber bushings on my shocks are all worn out after about a year and a half. You need polyurethane bushings on the shocks. With the 4" lift im also replacing both driveshafts due to CV failure, but you should be ok on a smaller lift. The reason I dont like this lift is because it just seems incomplete. After buying the lift, I still need to buy trac bars, and adjustable control arms. But again, you'll probably be ok on a smaller lift. I wouldnt recommend the lift I have to anybody.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK_Tim
The reason I dont like this lift is because it just seems incomplete. After buying the lift, I still need to buy trac bars, and adjustable control arms. But again, you'll probably be ok on a smaller lift. I wouldnt recommend the lift I have to anybody.
The same could be said about many other lifts, if you go above 3" there are a lot of components that need to be replaced/upgraded. RC, FT, Tereflex, RE and many others all build economy lifts that are incomplete. If you want to lift your Jeep you need to know what you are getting into before buying any lift and know what components need to be upgraded. When you have a DS fail because you’re at 4" of lift and never upgraded from stock, it’s not the lift's fault, it’s the owner's fault because they tried to cut corners.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CA-JK
The same could be said about many other lifts, if you go above 3" there are a lot of components that need to be replaced/upgraded. RC, FT, Tereflex, RE and many others all build economy lifts that are incomplete. If you want to lift your Jeep you need to know what you are getting into before buying any lift and know what components need to be upgraded. When you have a DS fail because you’re at 4" of lift and never upgraded from stock, it’s not the lift's fault, it’s the owner's fault because they tried to cut corners.

Youre right. I didnt know everything I know now when I bought the lift, which is why I have to do it over again. Live and learn! But I just feel that this lift was put together to take advantage of people in my situation. Why else would you put this kit together? Cheap bushings, cambolts, and no adjustable parts. Its the absolute bare minimun you need to get the lift and the parts dont last, or increase the potential for malfunction. While they may put together some other great lifts, I just feel that Ive lost a certain degree of respect for selling anyone this kit.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK_Tim
Youre right. I didnt know everything I know now when I bought the lift, which is why I have to do it over again. Live and learn! But I just feel that this lift was put together to take advantage of people in my situation. Why else would you put this kit together? Cheap bushings, cambolts, and no adjustable parts. Its the absolute bare minimun you need to get the lift and the parts dont last, or increase the potential for malfunction. While they may put together some other great lifts, I just feel that Ive lost a certain degree of respect for selling anyone this kit.
Great points, but you also have to remeber that there are a lot of people out there who lift the JK and never take it off road, just check out all of the mall crawlers that never see dirt. For those people cam bolts work just fine and they won't ever flex the suspension enough to worry about their bushings. I wouldn't fault the company for selling kits that work for those people as long as they are still offering complete kits for those of us that use them as intended.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

I'm running a RC 3.5" Series II Suspension
zero problems so far.
Me and the wife put the lift on and did it in a day easy install.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default RC 4" lift

I have nothing but good things to say about my lift! I have the older 4" style with the fixed upper and lower front and rear arms. There is absolutely no wobble, no vibration, it's just the way it should be! This kit has a firm ride, great handling, and is a great buy !!!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 02:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RCXTREME
Glad we are getting these type of reviews. We do our best to put out a good product at a great cost so the average joe can purchase, install and enjoy.
Hey.. I purched the 4 inch from yall and was very satisfied with it, if I wasnt I would have never bought another kit from you, I have read lots of reviews on alot of forums and when there are any issues you guys take care of the customer! Yall are Okay in my book! Its hard to find any customer service these days let alone good customer service........ Nothin worse than calling for help and getting someone in bangladesh...lol

Djkbooth
Old 12-14-2010, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the input guys! really helped alot

Quick Reply: honest rough country reviews?