Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Homemade Stubby Front Bumper w/Fog Lights & Crush Cans - PICS!!

Old 03-24-2007, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home made all metal front bumper

I have done this same modification to my front bumper as well. It is a very easy mod and as previously stated by doojer (you cant beet the price). I made end caps for mine to give it a finished look. I dont like to buy anything if there is even a remote chance that I could build it my self. As my wife says I am a tight ass. That beinng said I decided to try and build my own all metal front bumper. Here are the results of my labor. Let me know what you think. I tried to leeve room for a winch in the future as well as some sort of tubular grill guard/fairlead mount. Going to have to save up some more frog skin's $$$ before I can aford a new winch.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	23-03-07_1005 (2).jpg
Views:	354
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1054   Click image for larger version

Name:	23-03-07_1118 (2).jpg
Views:	296
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1055   Click image for larger version

Name:	23-03-07_1443 (2).jpg
Views:	391
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1056   Click image for larger version

Name:	23-03-07_1944 (2).jpg
Views:	286
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1057   Click image for larger version

Name:	23-03-07_1940 (2).jpg
Views:	355
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1060  

Old 03-24-2007, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Woods
I'm sort of new to the whole Jeep Wrangler deal, so take my opinion for what it's worth.
I think this looks great. If I could get some decent "caps" to cover the exposed metal, then I'd be all over it. I just don't think that the factory bumper is all that ugly to start with. As a stubby I think it's the best that I've seen.

Any story that starts out with, "so I'm hanging around with a buddy and", involves a jeep and a sawzall, is a destined classic.

Too cool!
This is what I was thinking - looks great but IMO looks like a stock bumper that was cut. I would like cap ends also.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:14 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We talked about making caps today but figured we'd wait so we could spend some time on it and do it right. I really don't mind the utilitarian look of the exposed ends, but I agree that it will look better once we've made some caps. In any case, I'm really happy with it!
Old 03-24-2007, 08:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys should have called. I would have run over to meet doojer and get in on the fun!
Old 03-24-2007, 08:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubimon
You guys should have called. I would have run over to meet doojer and get in on the fun!
I don't think we expected to have so much fun... I was just swinging by to pick up some tires
Old 03-25-2007, 05:05 AM
JK Newbie

End caps would be a snap, and would make it look clean, but the best part about the mod is its simplicity. Kudos! I love it. Now figure out a 30 minute winch mount solution for us!!!
Old 03-25-2007, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

like the look of the hacked stubby, that may be on my list of mods when my rig finally rolls up.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:47 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks guys, but to be honest, it really wasn't as hard to do as I thought it might be. A sawzall with a torch blade will make minced meat out of both the plastic bumper and metal subframe and a grinder with sander attachment will help clean things up real nice. Fortunately, the plastic is easily workable and sands nicely. You do have to take your time as it will tend to melt but for the most part, the melted residue just crumbles away once it hardens.

In all honesty, I don't know if we would have tried this mod so eagerly if it weren't for the fact that I still have my old front bumper as a Plan B but now that I've done it, I would do it again especially if I didn't already have an aftermarket front bumper.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:10 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should have warned you doojer. Eddie with a sawzall in one hand and a digital camera in the other hand is a dangerous combination. It's no telling what he is going to cut off if it means a
good write-up!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:21 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubimon
I should have warned you doojer. Eddie with a sawzall in one hand and a digital camera in the other hand is a dangerous combination. It's no telling what he is going to cut off if it means a
good write-up!
You know it

Quick Reply: Homemade Stubby Front Bumper w/Fog Lights & Crush Cans - PICS!!