Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Home-made gussets?

Old 01-04-2012, 06:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pretty much figured that I could just make my own with the material & tools i have readily available, just thought id ask some other fellow jeepers their opinion as well. What else could I possibly self-fabricate? Anything else to gusset? Wish I had measurements for some skids...

Should I make the ones that go on the outside, more of the solid type or the kind that wraps around the C?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
I pretty much figured that I could just make my own with the material & tools i have readily available, just thought id ask some other fellow jeepers their opinion as well. What else could I possibly self-fabricate? Anything else to gusset? Wish I had measurements for some skids...

Should I make the ones that go on the outside, more of the solid type or the kind that wraps around the C?
I know a guy who just made his own front & rear bumpers, his own drag link out of DOM, and now he's working on his tie-rod, and next is the sliders. So, if you have the tools and know how - almost anything can be fabbed for your Jeep.

As for the gussets, I'd just basically follow the design of the Evo's. They have a solid design figured out. Why reinvent the wheel?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:32 AM
JK Junkie

Well, I don't know if I'd feel comfortable enough fabricating any suspension or driveline components, but as far as the sliders go - I might work on them. It's more-so of the mounting location thats the tricky part when making the rock sliders I think - like where to tack weld the mount on the slider to line up with the pre-exisiting holes underneath.

Bumpers - I have a stubby already by Bestop. I think I am going to keep my rear bumper, but I am moving up to 37's soon so I am going to need a tire carrier. If not, It'll have to sit in the back for the time being. Maybe an easier fab would just be the rocker guards instead of the sliders? The ones that are flush against the body and not the tube-style? Who knows....
Old 01-05-2012, 09:35 AM
JK Junkie

And as far as the design for the gussets, I think I am going to base it off the Evo's... I mean, its not going to be to their exact cut-out, but all I really need is for them to sit flush against most of the C and weld away... Just curious what thickness I should use? Not like its going to add that much weight if I go thicker ya know?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
And as far as the design for the gussets, I think I am going to base it off the Evo's... I mean, its not going to be to their exact cut-out, but all I really need is for them to sit flush against most of the C and weld away... Just curious what thickness I should use? Not like its going to add that much weight if I go thicker ya know?
I'd stick to 3/16" or maybe 1/4". It gets pretty tight in there at the bottom. (Don't judge me based on my welds here. )

You might also consider doing some lower control arm skids too, while you're at it.

Last edited by Merlin4979; 01-05-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:44 AM
JK Freak

What about some structural aluminum for the gussets? Not sure how well you could weld them together but stranger things have happened. Plus the weight would be less.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Xodius
What about some structural aluminum for the gussets? Not sure how well you could weld them together but stranger things have happened. Plus the weight would be less.
I dont know much about "structural aluminum" and its strength compared to standard aluminum and steel but that is SOOO little metal your adding that it wont and any weight to the axle (2-3 lbs max) I would say stick with the steel!
Old 02-04-2012, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Xodius
You cant weld AL to steel...
Old 02-05-2012, 04:57 AM
JK Newbie

Here is some pics of mine. I would say they are 3/4 of an inch thick

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gussets.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	274123Click image for larger version

Name:	upper gussets.jpg
Views:	80