Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Home-made gussets?

Old 01-04-2012, 11:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home-made gussets?

Is it possible to just make my own gussets with the proper material of course? I mean, is there any "structural engineering" to them? They seem pretty basic and simply contour the C. Looks like it needs to be a certain thickness, contour the C properly so contact is made on a good portion of the C, and weld them on good.

What do you guys think? I have access to a wide variety of weldable metal, etc....so I just don't see why I have to buy them when in essence, they are just metal pieces bent properly to "hug" where they reinforce.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:28 AM
JK Junkie

I don't know why not. My Taboo Customs gussets aren't even "bent". They're three separate pieces, welded together. OTOH, they're only $25 so it may not be worth your time.

h__p://www.taboocustoms.com/dana3044cgussetkit.htm
Old 01-04-2012, 11:34 AM
JK Junkie

Start makeing rough drawing and diminsions then weld them up yourself. I would if I had access and quality parts.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

I would make them. Then again, if given a choice to make or to buy, I ALWAYS go make. That way if it fails I know who to blame, plus gives me an excuse to fondle my Jeep. LOL.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:53 AM
JK Junkie

I have access to multiple types of metal at all different grades along with a CNC laser cutting machine. My father (retired) who has fabrication and welding experience probably longer than some people on the forum have been alive would be helping of course, but like the above member said, the gussets they have were 3 pieces welded together. I'd most likely be able to make ones that could support 3 times as much stress than others, just was questioning if there was any "special" engineering or simple step/item I'd leave out that makes it the reason people primarly go out and buy them as supposed to not fabricating them themselves (granted they have all the right equipment/supplies).
Old 01-04-2012, 12:29 PM
JK Junkie

Is there any kind of "statistic" or anything regarding C's that have gussets as supposed to not? I guess what I am trying to ask is, what is the overall % of increased support as supposed to no gussets? I know it's asking kind of a weird question, but does it improve stress strength by say, 25%? Or is there no way to really find out, unless further stated by a manufaturer and their specific product (considering they did tests and have engineering behind it of course)
Old 01-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Fabbing gussets should be pretty basic. Look around there are many different designs...not sure if one is better than the other. Anything would be an improvement, the C's are a very weak link
Old 01-04-2012, 03:40 PM
JK Freak

I was just thinking that you might be able to find some channel iron that will work. Might have to do a little grinding to make it flush but not too much. Just a thought.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
the reason people primarly go out and buy them as supposed to not fabricating them themselves (granted they have all the right equipment/supplies).
DING DING! most people dont have the experience or access to the equipment to make those kind of parts. And they are pretty cheep anyways so they(I) dont waste time self fabricating when those tools would cost 500 times the cost of the part itself.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:46 PM
JK Super Freak

I'd say that if you have access to a plasma cutter & can make two bends in a piece of 3/16" steel, you're set. Then just weld them in place!

Quick Reply: Home-made gussets?