Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Holy caster issue!

Old 10-13-2012, 02:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayrubicon
Looks to me to be a 2.5 to 3" lift. Bottom of frame to top of axle measures 7.5".
Stock CA's.
Weird thing is it has a trac bar relo bracket in the back!
Jackasses
AFAIK the track bar does not affect castor at all. It takes adjustable control arms or geometry correction brackets. When a 2.5" - 3" lift ends up with zero castor it may need control arms rather than brackets.

A front track bar shouldn't cause any DW if its a good bar, well tightened, and no oval bolt holes. At the rear, a relocation bracket is not unusual.

>>>If the Jeep tends to DW, loosen all the control arm and track bar bolts (front and rear) and re-torque everything with the wheels on the ground. This may eliminate the wobble and could possibly change the castor a little.<<<
Old 10-13-2012, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Freewill

AFAIK the track bar does not affect castor at all. It takes adjustable control arms or geometry correction brackets. When a 2.5" - 3" lift ends up with zero castor it may need control arms rather than brackets.

A front track bar shouldn't cause any DW if its a good bar, well tightened, and no oval bolt holes. At the rear, a relocation bracket is not unusual.

>>>If the Jeep tends to DW, loosen all the control arm and track bar bolts (front and rear) and re-torque everything with the wheels on the ground. This may eliminate the wobble and could possibly change the castor a little.<<<
I know the trac bar has nothing to do with caster. I need CA's no doubt and and adjustable trac bar to center the axle. But if you do have an axle that is heavily tilted forward then the brackets where the trac bar attach will be crooked and probably not help with tracking and bind.
Put together the zero caster and an axle that is over to o e side and you have issues.
I'm feeling a full RK or EVO lot coming

Last edited by Jayrubicon; 10-13-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Axle is about 3/4" to the drivers' side.
That's about twice too much axle offset for a 2-3" lift. It would take an adjustable front track bar to correct it, but the question is why so much offset with so little lift?

If the front axle is really offset by 3/4", it could possibly affect the castor. Makes me wonder if the lift is a bunch of mis-matched parts?
Old 10-13-2012, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's about twice too much axle offset for a 2-3" lift. It would take an adjustable front track bar to correct it, but the question is why so much offset with so little lift?

If the front axle is really offset by 3/4", it could possibly affect the castor. Makes me wonder if the lift is a bunch of mis-matched parts?
Good question... Awful lot I offset no doubt. I'm with you on your assumption of a mismatched bunch o parts.
Got some work to do...... Time to order a kit
Old 10-13-2012, 02:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Put together the zero caster and an axle that is over to o e side and you have issues.
I'm feeling a full RK or EVO lot coming
Yeh. Or whatever it takes. Could be it just needs a couple of key new components. One way or the other it looks like some work will be gettin' done under there.

Good luck with it!
Old 10-13-2012, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeh. Or whatever it takes. Could be it just needs a couple of key new components. One way or the other it looks like some work will be gettin' done under there.

Good luck with it!
For sure..... Thanks man!
Old 10-13-2012, 04:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surely I do not need to ask but feel I have to because of it only being a small lift. The gound the jeep is sitting on is level correct?
Old 10-13-2012, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor
Surely I do not need to ask but feel I have to because of it only being a small lift. The gound the jeep is sitting on is level correct?
Oh yeah.... Set the angle finder on the ground and it was dead on zero.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Oh yeah.... Set the angle finder on the ground and it was dead on zero.
Where did you measure it at

There should not be a zero caster unless you got a 4 and above lift and that still is a maybe
Old 10-14-2012, 04:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jaker t5

Where did you measure it at

There should not be a zero caster unless you got a 4 and above lift and that still is a maybe
Set the angle finder on the flat part of the spring perch

Quick Reply: Holy caster issue!