Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

hit a pot hole and now i have a irritating squeak in the rear!

Old 07-13-2011, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor
Rythmic squeak ... meaning repettative while driving? Coulda bent an axle shaft and the wobble is the result of rotor wavering due to the bent axle making contact with brake pad / wear indicator. Real common especially after a hard hit and 35"+ tires.

Or is it a Giggle squeak like something rubbing against something else when vibration from a bump happens?

holy shit! what doesn't suck on the JK?!
Old 07-13-2011, 07:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am wondering if I have the same issue. I get a rhythmic squeak right as I am coming to a stop that sounds like brakes but my rear brakes an rotors look fine. Wonder if the rear is bent? Only happens right before a stop..
Old 07-13-2011, 07:56 AM
JK Freak

I recently all of a sudden have the same issue. Squeak, Squeak, squeak...Brakes seem fine...I'm running 285/70R17 Duratrac's which aren't too unbelievably heavy. Seems to only be from the driver's side rear.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:57 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Vincent
I recently all of a sudden have the same issue. Squeak, Squeak, squeak...Brakes seem fine...I'm running 285/70R17 Duratrac's which aren't too unbelievably heavy. Seems to only be from the driver's side rear.
Is yours only when coming to a stop?
Old 07-13-2011, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vincent
Yeah I've had that squeak for awhile.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Is yours only when coming to a stop?
No, it's continual.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor
Rythmic squeak ... meaning repettative while driving? Coulda bent an axle shaft and the wobble is the result of rotor wavering due to the bent axle making contact with brake pad / wear indicator. Real common especially after a hard hit and 35"+ tires.

Or is it a Giggle squeak like something rubbing against something else when vibration from a bump happens?
Same thing happened to me. Went to the dealership for my regular service and told them about the squeak. They called me back about an hour later and told me the right rear axle shaft was bent. New one was ordered pronto and replaced under warranty, no questions asked.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
I am wondering if I have the same issue. I get a rhythmic squeak right as I am coming to a stop that sounds like brakes but my rear brakes an rotors look fine. Wonder if the rear is bent? Only happens right before a stop..
The only dealership mechanic I will let touch my rig says he has seen incidents of the parking brakes coming apart in the drum and rolling around, creating noise.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:07 AM
JK Freak

check for rub marks on your track bar against your springs... i had this problem with alittle less lift than you have...

theres a company that makes wedges that solved the problem... i also turned the drivers side track bar bolt around the opposite way.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:16 AM
JK Junkie

i have a nasty squeak in the rear...but only when i hit bumps. like going over a speed bump....or a pot hole or any such type of bump i get a squeak

Quick Reply: hit a pot hole and now i have a irritating squeak in the rear!