Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

hit a pot hole and now i have a irritating squeak in the rear!

Old 07-12-2011, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hit a pot hole and now i have a irritating squeak in the rear!

Driving home from dinner tonight, I hit a fairly larger pot hole on the passenger side with the front and rear tires. Now there is a very irritating squeak coming passenger rear side. Had my wife kick the tire while I was under the jeep with a flashlight, and can't really pin point where the noise is. I kinda guessing its somewhere in the brakes. Not 100% positive though. Any idea or any one else have or had this problem?

BTW its a 2010 jeep wrangler sport, 3.5" skyjacker, 35x12.50 km2's, with 15x8 soft 8 cragars. 14,000 miles on the jeep. I was going about 30 mph when I hit the pot hole.

Yes the jeep is still under warranty but..... I think I've pretty much voided that with some of the mods. Im going to try to tear into the calipers tomorrow when I get off work. I don't trust anyone with a wrench on my baby except me.

Any and all advice will be helpful.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110712_214710.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	181471   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110712_214826.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	181473  
Old 07-12-2011, 07:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got back and hit it again, you never know. Might fix it for ya.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:27 PM
JK Freak

I am not sure but I remember reading a while back about the heat shield welds breaking and causing some noise?
Old 07-12-2011, 08:46 PM
JK Junkie

I had a hell of a time tracking down a squeak that ended up being the tailgate on the latch side. The steel kinda v-shaped bracket on the door was rubbing on the plastic part on the body. It drove me crazy all winter. A dab of grease confirmed it.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Rythmic squeak ... meaning repettative while driving? Coulda bent an axle shaft and the wobble is the result of rotor wavering due to the bent axle making contact with brake pad / wear indicator. Real common especially after a hard hit and 35"+ tires.

Or is it a Giggle squeak like something rubbing against something else when vibration from a bump happens?
Old 07-12-2011, 10:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor
Rythmic squeak ... meaning repettative while driving? Coulda bent an axle shaft and the wobble is the result of rotor wavering due to the bent axle making contact with brake pad / wear indicator. Real common especially after a hard hit and 35"+ tires.

Or is it a Giggle squeak like something rubbing against something else when vibration from a bump happens?
YES. I agree. I have bent both my rears. It sucks and its a PITA. Upgrade to chromoly and problem solved
Old 07-12-2011, 10:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default skyjacker.......

i dont like saying those things against... i never had any bad experience with that company but.. 4 of my buddies had a skyjacker lift, it was fine for a while but after a bit, squeaks were coming out of everywhere.. everything is solid too, my advice would be to go visit who ever installed it and maybe he`ll look after it for free and give you advices
Old 07-13-2011, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome ill check the heat shield and the rear tailgate. If it is a shaft screw it. Im in the the middle of saving up for pro rock 44's. But when I get home regardless that rear passenger side is being torn apart. Lol me and 3 of my buddies did the lift. 2 of witch are certified mechanics and I mite as well be one.
Thanks for all advice. If I find it ill let y'all know.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:08 AM
JK Super Freak

I have a squeak from the same general direction that I and the dealer have never been able to find. I will have to check my heat shield and tailgate too.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:20 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jack up your jk, in the rear,on jackstands put it in drive, check for tire wobble. Also you could pull the tire and watch the rotor and calipers for a pulse or wobble. You could have bent the rear axle flange. They're pretty weak.

Quick Reply: hit a pot hole and now i have a irritating squeak in the rear!