Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hill start assist shut off???

Old 02-01-2010, 05:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKmudslinger09
thats news to me. lol. ive stalled so many times because of it. it could help off road a little bit but its a hastle in busy traffic. maybe the dealer can do somehting about it.
The directions how to turn it off start on page 375 in the owners manual but... I don't think that is your problem. The brake pressure is released in proportion to the amount of throttle you give it (page 373). The 3.8 motor has little or no low end torque and is easily killed if you don't give it a lot of throttle when taking off, flat ground included. I have a '08 and I kill mine frequently because I'm used to diesels.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i guess i know now why i didnt know about hill start assist........
http://www.jeep.com/en/search_result...start%20assist
it started in 09 for the JK, my 07 doesnt have it. Oh well, been wheelin for 12 years with out it, i guess i can keep wheelin with out it.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
hill assist is available in all transfer case ranges. It's extremely useful off road. If you've not found it nice to have off road, you're not wheelin hard enough! I can work a clutch pretty well, but i do love the fact i can have that few seconds of stability when on a obstacle or in a bind on something. Works very well.

ormhof.org/inductees/Brian-Chuchua.htm[/url]

tell him he didnt wheel hard enough! ------^

Last edited by mkjeep; 02-01-2010 at 10:08 AM. Reason: no clicky
Old 02-01-2010, 07:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 0311sgt
ormhof.org/inductees/Brian-Chuchua.htm[/url]

tell him he didnt wheel hard enough! ------^
Not sure what an old Baja racer has to do with anything? About 1% of their time I'd say is at a stop. And anyway I said 'if you don't find it nice to have off road'. I didn't say you couldn't off road without it, or shouldn't off road without it.

So whats the point of the historical lesson?

Last edited by mkjeep; 02-01-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have got an 09' auto does it have hill start assist?? It seems like it bogs down when I am in 2wd starting off on a hill.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:11 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by CruserBruiser
I have got an 09' auto does it have hill start assist?? It seems like it bogs down when I am in 2wd starting off on a hill.
No, manual trans only. Gearing is probably the problem, unless you are off road and your traction control is then your problem

Unless you are in 4-low or manually turn off the ESP (pushing the button only partially turns it off, completely off is listed in the owners manual) then the traction control will limit your wheel spin by using the brakes and reducing engine torque. I drive around with mine 100% off, so I drive it however I feel off road.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

No, manual trans only. Gearing is probably the problem, unless you are off road and your traction control is then your problem

Unless you are in 4-low or manually turn off the ESP (pushing the button only partially turns it off, completely off is listed in the owners manual) then the traction control will limit your wheel spin by using the brakes and reducing engine torque. I drive around with mine 100% off, so I drive it however I feel off road.
I think your right!!! but I could stand to regear as well, 35's with the 3.73's manageable but it leaves you wanting much more.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by toymaster
I don't think that is your problem. The brake pressure is released in proportion to the amount of throttle you give it (page 373). The 3.8 motor has little or no low end torque and is easily killed if you don't give it a lot of throttle when taking off, flat ground included. I have a '08 and I kill mine frequently because I'm used to diesels.
Sorry, but I have to disagree. The low end torque is good enough. the problem is the ESP program. It is the one that stops you from having low end power. If you pull the ESP fuse out, you will notice a huge difference in low end torque. the Superchip helps mitigate the effects of the ESP which is one of the reasons it is so popular.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure what an old Baja racer has to do with anything? About 1% of their time I'd say is at a stop. And anyway I said 'if you don't find it nice to have off road'. I didn't say you couldn't off road without it, or shouldn't off road without it.

So whats the point of the historical lesson?
He drove from Cali to the Panama Canal..... if you research it he is the ONLY person to do so, and it was in a STOCK CJ. His Jeep was on display at Camp Jeep 07 with a ton of photos from his jungle trek. So STOCK CJ, in the jungles of Panama, no lockers, no hill start assist, no lift or tires, no roads. Not alone, either, he led an expeditipon with full recovery gear. But if he could it then without all the do-dads.... See where i was going?
Dont get me wrong i am all for technology helping out off road. I was happy to see Jeep finally go to the BLD, after Landrover and Hmmer have been using it for decades. HSA, is a good thing, but to say you cant wheel hard without it is a little overboard.

"From the mid to late 1950s Chuchua continued to race his jeep and participate in club runs in Southern California. He rode as a member with The Chuckwalla Jeep Club. His Jeep was the first to climb the Devil’s Slide at Pismo Beach in the mid 1950s and in 1954 he participated in the Rubcion Jeep Jamboree. He also started to use his Jeep to explore further regions of the globe and in 1960 he drove his Jeep from La Habra, California through Mexico and Central America all the way to the Panama Canal"

Rubicon Trail...... Central America..... NOT ALL BAJA

Last edited by 0311sgt; 02-01-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Olean NY Jeeper
Not sure about your specific situation in Moab but just so you no, when you are in 4wd low, you do not need the clutch to start the jeep, just have it in 1st gear, turn the key and it will start climbing. No clutch, no rollback. Works like a charm. And I like HSA. It helps on road as well as off.
the situation you are speaking of works if you stall the jeep but why would I turn off the jeep to start out????? when it is already running?
I can work a clutch just fine with out it but it is usefull if you learn to use it to your advantage. Kinda like the internet, you can ignore it or use it for good things to help you out even though you can get by with out it.

Quick Reply: Hill start assist shut off???