Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

High speed vibration.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High speed vibration.

I just installed a RE 3.5" lift and new tires/wheels and now I have a vibration at 65-70 plus on the interstate sometimes.

It is not in the front.

It is not constant like a tire being out, but I am not ruling that out.

It does not care if it is coasting, flat ground, or under load.

It may not happen for 50 miles and it may happen for five miles.

Could this just be the new springs being that much stiffer?

How improtant is rear pinion angle and could this cause it? I truly didn't check the rear on the ground to make sure it was asshole perfect. I know I should have, but it was late and it looked pretty close.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:41 AM
JK Newbie

I have the same lift no problem with mine its smooth. Sounds like the drive train somewhere can u hear a different sounds than before you lift it or just vibration? But I would think it would do it all the time.

Last edited by Anaya; 02-14-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:51 AM
JK Jedi Master

Have your tires rebalanced.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Anaya
I have the same lift no problem with mine its smooth. Sounds like the drive train somewhere can u hear a different sounds than before you lift it or just vibration? But I would think it would do it all the time.
No problems before lift and tire change.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:59 AM
JK Super Freak

put your old tires back on and see if it goes away. if you got rid of them then swap the tires around and see if it changes. determin if it is tires or lift first. i bet it is the tires.

i just had my new tires balanced at a discount tire that i will never go back to. they ride worse then when i went there. i will now only go to the discount tire that has my regular guy at it (he moved shops). tire balance is not as easy as read a machine and stick on weights. some times it takes a time or two. heck i looked at my spare and the weights they put on it were half off the rim. my prob is it takes 1.5 hrs to get to the shop to have them redo it lol.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by codysanders
put your old tires back on and see if it goes away. if you got rid of them then swap the tires around and see if it changes. determin if it is tires or lift first. i bet it is the tires.

i just had my new tires balanced at a discount tire that i will never go back to. they ride worse then when i went there. i will now only go to the discount tire that has my regular guy at it (he moved shops). tire balance is not as easy as read a machine and stick on weights. some times it takes a time or two. heck i looked at my spare and the weights they put on it were half off the rim. my prob is it takes 1.5 hrs to get to the shop to have them redo it lol.
Tire swap was my next idea. I just don't want to do it..
Old 02-14-2011, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Done front to back rotation and no change, still in the back. Frustrating, but I will figure it out. At least I live close to interstate so I will not get busted for hitting the high spots on a 2 lane road.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:38 AM
JK Freak

ever figure out what it was? i am having similar issue at 65-70mph
Old 05-01-2011, 09:55 AM
JK Freak

Bump........
Old 05-01-2011, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Default I agree

Originally Posted by Robar
Have your tires rebalanced.
I had tires done one time for me with serious vibration, The knuckle head at the tire place forgot to balance 2 of my tires.... Jerk was too busy checking out my wife...

Quick Reply: High speed vibration.