Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

High shelf for the Hard Top. Help with ideas to get it up and down, please.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High shelf for the Hard Top. Help with ideas to get it up and down, please.

So I was going to build a dolly this afternoon from another write-up here, but the urge to build a shelf and it just felt like a better option. I only drive my 99 VR4 in the summer on the weekends and nice days, so it had the perfect spot for my shelf above it. I have plenty of clearance and a spotter of course. If I need to, a couple of dozen screws removed and I can toss it out....but I think I like it.

I made the length out from the wall the full 96 inches the 2x4 and the thing sits 64 inches tall and 68 inches wide. The wife is as tall as I am (5'9), but it was a struggle to heave that thing so high up. Anyone got ideas on how to raise and lower the top easier? I have all summer to come up with something, but I'd love to hear your suggestions? The awesome thing is I can stand under the shelf and still raise the hood all the way.

draft ideas:

First, I was thinking maybe a hoist on a track bar from over the shelf to the free side. Then I could lift it, and slide it out to the empty side and lower it down. I'd need some major fabrication, but I think it is doable for a short distance a couple of times a year.

My second thought is making a wood bar for each side that bolts to the 3 holes on each channel. The bottom of the board would have wheels and I could roll it down some long boards until it was easier to lift.

Oh, and here is my crude pic for tonight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7483.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	324100  

Last edited by demtek9; 05-31-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Fortunately changing the top is a seasonal thing done only twice yearly. I too got in a hurry but my solution is a plywood and 2x4 platform hanging from 4 ratchet straps attached to eyebolts in the ceiling. It's not real attractive but I can easily switch tops by myself by lowering/raising the platform. I do utilize 2 long bolts through the screw holes in the hard top and through the platform to keep the top from sliding off since the raising and lowering process isn't perfectly level at all times. As in your case there is plenty room under the shelf to park another vehicle.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Pushrod
Fortunately changing the top is a seasonal thing done only twice yearly. I too got in a hurry but my solution is a plywood and 2x4 platform hanging from 4 ratchet straps attached to eyebolts in the ceiling. It's not real attractive but I can easily switch tops by myself by lowering/raising the platform. I do utilize 2 long bolts through the screw holes in the hard top and through the platform to keep the top from sliding off since the raising and lowering process isn't perfectly level at all times. As in your case there is plenty room under the shelf to park another vehicle.
I saw that thread and liked the four point design of your lift. I just didn't want to have 100lb hanging for months on end. It is only paranoia of it dropping and probably unfounded paranoia too. I just don't know my house internals well enough to trust the builder. Like I said, my mind playing tricks on me.

I was thinking two long straps crisscrossed diagonally under the corners from front to back hooking to a duel track system to just lift it and move it over long enough to lower it to a comfy carry height. Something like those closet sliding door runners, but sturdier.

Quick Reply: High shelf for the Hard Top. Help with ideas to get it up and down, please.