Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

High pitched whine

Old 06-30-2011, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High pitched whine

Coming from the transmission (auto) I'm pretty sure. In park or neutral, and intermittently when in drive.

Noticed it a few days after I installed the RROR full skid set.

The tranny lines were pushed away from the engine by the required inch or so, no binding or rubbing anywhere. No leaks, fluid is full and nice and red.

Open to ideas. checked other threads and the google. I'm 99.9% sure it's coming from the tranny.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Coley
Coming from the transmission (auto) I'm pretty sure. In park or neutral, and intermittently when in drive.

Noticed it a few days after I installed the RROR full skid set.

The tranny lines were pushed away from the engine by the required inch or so, no binding or rubbing anywhere. No leaks, fluid is full and nice and red.

Open to ideas. checked other threads and the google. I'm 99.9% sure it's coming from the tranny.
Found the issue - no idea how/why I didn't catch it earlier.

In the process of installing the RROR skid system, you're directed to pull the small bracket that holds the transmission lines next to the engine oil pan, and relocate it about an inch towards the drivers side on a supplied bracket that holds it away from the skids.

In my mind, this meant just that - pull the lines over, and pop the holder on the new mount.

The correct way to do it is to bend / reshape the metal lines gently, around the skids and onto the new bracket. If you just force it, you end up kinking the rubber hoses up front behind the radiator.

Luckily, once de-kinked, they're back to normal. No leaks, and running about 10* cooler.

Pic
Old 07-11-2011, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Pic attached
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1555291672.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	180902  

Quick Reply: High pitched whine