Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

High Pinion 3rd Member

Old 10-12-2009, 08:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Pinion 3rd Member

I have been doing some research on high pinion and low pinion 3rd members and I have a quick question.

Is there any disadvantages to running a high pinion 3rd member in the front or rear? I want to upgrade to the currie 609 axle and i think a high pinion would be the perfect setup when going over rocks.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

bump! anyone?
Old 10-13-2009, 11:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes high pinion is better
Old 10-13-2009, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm running Currie Rock Jock 60's front and rear. Have had no issues and, in my opinion, are superior to low pinion setups.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:10 PM
JK Freak

Things could have changed since but I remember hearing at one time that with certain axles, high pinions can be weaker due to the way the gears are positioned or something like that. I doubt that is a problem with the 609 axles but just thought I would add that. Anyone care to further explain..?
Old 10-13-2009, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

A high pinion (reverse spiral bevel) axle in the REAR is turning on coast side of the gear when used in a rear application. That same axle is turning on the drive side of the gear when turned around and used in a front application.

A High pinion IS stronger in the front than a standard cut. A standard cut IS stronger in the rear than a high pinion.

In a rear application, as you step on the gas, the ring gear tries to spit out the pinion gear as its on the wrong side. The rigidity of the housing is what holds the gears together. That's why the Dynatrac housing is so stiff. Helps to keep the gears meshed.

With all that said, a HP 60 is very effective in the rear of a moderately geared, moderately tired, moderately powered vehicle. If you're gonna run 450hp, 42" tires and drive like a maniac, the HP 60 is a poor choice.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by Sethmark
A high pinion (reverse spiral bevel) axle in the REAR is turning on coast side of the gear when used in a rear application. That same axle is turning on the drive side of the gear when turned around and used in a front application.

A High pinion IS stronger in the front than a standard cut. A standard cut IS stronger in the rear than a high pinion.

In a rear application, as you step on the gas, the ring gear tries to spit out the pinion gear as its on the wrong side. The rigidity of the housing is what holds the gears together. That's why the Dynatrac housing is so stiff. Helps to keep the gears meshed.

With all that said, a HP 60 is very effective in the rear of a moderately geared, moderately tired, moderately powered vehicle. If you're gonna run 450hp, 42" tires and drive like a maniac, the HP 60 is a poor choice.
Greatly Put
It is always nice seeing people post good info on this site
If you are build big horsepower and The person wants to wheel there rig
A low pinion 60 full floater could be a option and would have a stronger ring and pinion than the High pinion in the rear.
We now are recommending the dana 80 low pinion Dynatrac if someone is looking To run huge horsepower or huge gear reduction .
Mel
Old 10-14-2009, 09:53 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great info here. Kinda got tired of just seeing "high pinion is better" comments. I was gonna throw my 2 cents in, but since I'm too frikkin lazy and yall have done it nicely, to heck with it.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

High pinion IS better in lots of applications. But ya gotta recognize its limitations.... Want to throw it behind a nice v8 and 37s, go banana's. You'll NEVER break it unless you do something remarkably stupid. It gives you a much improved pinion angle and better driveshaft protection.

But again... wanna run a LS1 and 42s? There are better choices.

Quick Reply: High Pinion 3rd Member