Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hids

Old 10-02-2013, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hids

Anyone know where i can get a good HID Kit for the Jeep? im trying to bump up my lighting on my stock headlights. Thank you
Old 10-02-2013, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Look at ddmtuning.com
Old 10-02-2013, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

HID kits will not work in our headlights the beam pattern becomes very distorted and disorienting. Look into replacement head lights such as trucklite or jw speaker. Both are led and have great reviews. Both are more expensive then a HID kit but in the end are the right way to get better lighting
Old 10-02-2013, 07:30 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When i did the hids mine just did the disco flicker even with resistors and anti flicker harness...i tried everything. My buddy his hid works great tho. I went with trucklites. If u do go with hid u MUST get a projector lens or u will just be binding oncoming traffic and if someone like me is on the other side, well I'm gonna light u up like a Christmas tree
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1380727804804.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	502044  
Old 10-02-2013, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Many threads on this if you use the search function. But please....don't put HID bulbs in your factory housings. They work better than stock, sure, but the pattern is very distorted and blinds oncoming traffic. If you want to do it right, have a set of true HID projectors retrofitted into your stock housings. HIDProjectors.com is where you want to look. Tom builds lights to order, with lots of options, and makes a great product. I've been running a set of his lights for a little over a year now with great results. Even pitted them up against a set of TruckLites and my HIDs project out farther and light up better to the sides, too. Definitely a great upgrade to your craptastic factory headlights. Yeah....not exactly something cheap, but considering it's more or less a safety item, do you really want to skimp?

I have a couple pics of my HIDs is you want to see them.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jersey_Devil
When i did the hids mine just did the disco flicker even with resistors and anti flicker harness...i tried everything. My buddy his hid works great tho. I went with trucklites. If u do go with hid u MUST get a projector lens or u will just be binding oncoming traffic and if someone like me is on the other side, well I'm gonna light u up like a Christmas tree
Lmfao!!! I hope I encounter you buddy so we have a light show nd blind everyone LMFAO
Old 10-02-2013, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Yellowfin
Many threads on this if you use the search function. But please....don't put HID bulbs in your factory housings. They work better than stock, sure, but the pattern is very distorted and blinds oncoming traffic. If you want to do it right, have a set of true HID projectors retrofitted into your stock housings. HIDProjectors.com is where you want to look. Tom builds lights to order, with lots of options, and makes a great product. I've been running a set of his lights for a little over a year now with great results. Even pitted them up against a set of TruckLites and my HIDs project out farther and light up better to the sides, too. Definitely a great upgrade to your craptastic factory headlights. Yeah....not exactly something cheap, but considering it's more or less a safety item, do you really want to skimp?

Awesome information bro thank you and yea send some pics I would love to see this
Old 10-02-2013, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yellowfin

I would like to see some too, but it looks like the cost is around $550? In this case, plug and play LEDS would def be a better choice.

Last edited by 2013Sport; 10-02-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2013Sport
I would like to see some too, but it looks like the cost is around $550? In this case, plug and play LEDS would def be a better choice.
Again, since it's a safety related upgrade, do you really want to skimp because of cost? I believe I spent just under $500 on mine and that's because I sent Tom the housings out or my rig since I had IPFs in there anyway. And as far as I'm concerned, it was some of the best money I've spent on my rig.

Unadjusted, just after install

Adjusted @ approx. 40 ft. (low beams)

Adjusted @ approx. 40 ft. (high beams)

Standing approx. 30-35 ft away (low beams)

Quick Reply: Hids