Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

hide away 4dr. electric step

Old 12-08-2007, 07:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hide away 4dr. electric step

Has anyone tried to install an electric hideaway step that covers both of the door openings?

I have used the sidewinder single steps on my truck but would like to find a long step to cover both driver and passenger door openings and of course not interfere with clearance and get ripped off by obsticles.

Last edited by You Jeep; 12-08-2007 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

Just found what I'm looking for at electricstep.com I would like to know if anyone has used this though.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:48 AM
JK Junkie

to me, the most important part of sidesteps is the fact that they also protect the side of the jeep from car doors....

and Im thinking you hit these steps with one rock, and they wont operate anymore.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:04 AM
JK Freak

Well, I do plan on having rail guards also to protect the body.

The only purpose of the step is for easy access (wife/kids) (I'm no kid any longer either)
Old 12-08-2007, 09:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cnewton858
Has anyone tried to install an electric hideaway step that covers both of the door openings?

I have used the sidewinder single steps on my truck but would like to find a long step to cover both driver and passenger door openings and of course not interfere with clearance and get ripped off by obsticles.
You are arnt going to be able to have an electric hideaway step that doesnt get destroyed by obstacles. They arnt strong enough to take even a slight hit, so any interaction with a rock will turn them into a mangled mess.

You going to have to ask yourself whats more important: Clearance or Ease of Entry.

You can get a frame mounted steel step that will hold up to beatings, but you will lose a good bit of clearance. Or you can get some formed steel rocker guards like the ones that Pure Jeep is building that have a step incorporated that is better than nothing, but wont help enter the vehicle as much as a step mounted straight out from the frame.

Or you can grow up, be a man, and climb in like the rest of us.....

If your wife or g/f is giving you hell, just tell her what i told mine: "You can either find a way to get up in there, or you can stay where you are."

Last edited by 00pumpkin; 12-08-2007 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:43 AM
JK Freak

This elect. step appears to fold above the frame so there should not be any loss of clearance. Guess no one has pics of steps?

I assure you that I will install a usable elect. step without any worry of obstacles! Just wanted to get an idea of whats available for a practical step from other members.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep us posted of what you do!
Old 12-08-2007, 12:27 PM
JK Junkie

Those were designed for the TJ, and plugs into the stock wiring harness. I am sure that they could be modified to fit.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:51 PM
JK Freak

Right, I left them a msg and waiting to hear back. I'll let everyone know when I hear from them.

Quick Reply: hide away 4dr. electric step