Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hidden Hitch Tow Bar

Old 02-06-2007, 06:18 PM
RLandis

Default Hidden Hitch Tow Bar

I read somewhere not to tow the JK by the bumper....I had a TJ, with a Hidden Hitch 500 lb tow bar....they sell them at Quadratech.....it has brackets that mount to the bumber, and then you bolt them to the V shaped tow apparatus, and it worked like a charm...is there any reason I can't use one to tow the JK?
Old 02-06-2007, 06:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't see why not. Its attached to the frame rail, has large tow hooks attached to it so you can pull yourself out of the mud and people mount winched rated at 9500 pounds to the same rails. I think a tow bar mounted to it would be fine. But what do I know.....

Jeff
Old 02-06-2007, 07:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasser
I can't see why not. Its attached to the frame rail, has large tow hooks attached to it so you can pull yourself out of the mud and people mount winched rated at 9500 pounds to the same rails. I think a tow bar mounted to it would be fine. But what do I know.....

Jeff
Mopar sells a tow bar. part #82209758 $425
Old 02-08-2007, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem with the JK is under that plastic bumper cover is a thin sheet metal "c" shaped piece . Very weak.

I removed both pieces and mounted the tow bar brackets to the two square plates that are welded to the frame rails. These are fairly strong pieces with 4 holes used to mount the factory tow hooks. I took the sleasy road and used one of the holes to attach my tow bar brackets. No problem towing. JK tracked well.
Although you are not supposed to back up with a flat tow, I put myself in a bad situation and backed up just a "little"
Of course I was not straight with the JK and it immediately jackknifed. I was barely rolling and stopped quickly and didn't think much of it.

Upon inspection I found that I had bent one of the plates. Minor readjustment with a large pipe wrench got it straight. None the worse for wear, but I will be bolting my old YJ c-channel bumper in place for a more rigid mount for the tow bar brackets. Of course I'll try to avoid backing up in the future. This is just a temp solution that I remove when I'm not flat towing until I can decide on a new front bumper and permanently mount the tow bar brackets.

Currie has a slick new mounting bracket that mounts under the bumper. It is pictured with the stocker. Also acts like a skidplate for the lower crossmember.

Quick Reply: Hidden Hitch Tow Bar