Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hi-Lift mount alternatives for mounting in the cabin

Old 09-27-2011, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on this subject

Spent a good part of the day looking at Hi-Lift Jacks and where to mount. is the 48" sufficient for a 2 door with a 2.5" lift and 35" tires? That is the only one that can mount inside which would be our preferrence. Was thinking for a few more dollars getting the 60" would be good but has anyone had the need for one or do most of you use the 48" ?
Old 09-27-2011, 04:03 PM
JK Super Freak

hmmm... looks better than I expected.. But if it were higher it would be better. Ideal would be where the Jeep Swag kit installs it, but even with the top of the rear seat would be okay. I have some large roller bags I carry back there pretty often.

For those looking to mount in that spot, take a look at this DIY version...

I could be fine with the dual mount locations.. up high with the Jeep Swag version and on the hood with the various hinge mount options out there. Maybe that is the way to go. I have the Freedom top on more than the soft top.

For those looking to do the hood mount.. here is your DIY verion...
Old 09-27-2011, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't forget about horizontally on the rear bumper as an option.

I have been running and wheeling with it on the the back bumper for years, it just takes some welding of the "hood" brackets to the bumper and cutting work of the plastic

I have a write up that I did some time ago on what is needed

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...and-tow-points

Last edited by rnjstel; 09-27-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rnjstel

I have been running and wheeling with it on the the back bumper for years, it just takes some welding of the "hood" brackets to the bumper and cutting work of the plastic

hmmm..... nice idea. Looks like you started out with the Hi-Lift mounted the base to the right with some padding behind it.. what made you change that?

I dismissed mounting on the carrier because I my antenna is mounted there. Still considering mounting it vertically to the right of the spare. Thanks for your suggestion.

Last edited by MikekiM; 09-28-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rnjstel

I used to have my hi lift on my rear bumper too. One nice steep departure drop off a rock and BAM! Bye bye mount. It was bent so bad i had to pry my hi lift off.

After that I went with my current hood and roll bar mounts. Had any trouble with yours while wheeling? Especially on rocks?
Old 09-28-2011, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi,

Yeah the first mounting with the jack "hook" facing down failed about the first minute on the trail (dug right in) so, I ended up flipping it to the way it shown in the current pic.

As far as rocks, no really no problem. Never bent the mounts, broke my welds, etc but I did bend a hi-lift once. It was a tight rock garden and I ended up catching the upper portion of the body oddly once and tweaked the jack. I backed into a tree and straightened the jack but, replaced that one anyway.

With the handle isolator, you can bend the handle slightly up and sort of parallel with the jack body. I usually just bash the hell out of the exhaust, which is a blessing since it is the stainless gibson and I think the tip is way to ricey. Mother nature flattened it out anyway so I am happy now.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:07 PM
JK Super Freak

This is what I have right now. Still working on making a better mount that is much easier to use. Heck, when I do, maybe I'll make and sell them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIYj9oKvqXg
Old 09-28-2011, 04:26 PM
JK Newbie

Default Nice video

ZMagic97

Thanks for the video, but can you post a few pictures of how the U bolts attach to the lift.

Thanks in advance

Kevin
Old 09-28-2011, 04:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kdog
ZMagic97

Thanks for the video, but can you post a few pictures of how the U bolts attach to the lift.

Thanks in advance

Kevin
I sure can. I'll be home in about two hours. Once I am, I'll take pics and post them.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Some angle iron and a few nuts & bolts this costs less than $10 at lowes

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1594330741.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	216849

Quick Reply: Hi-Lift mount alternatives for mounting in the cabin