Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

hi lift jack hood mount help

Old 05-15-2008, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hi lift jack hood mount help

ok..i mounted my hi jack lift on my hood with the tuff stuff rack..the only(major) issue is that the black rubber collar wont slide down far enough to secure the bar to the jack..the mount of the rack is in the way, and it's to thick..anyone else have this issue? how do you secure your jack?

thanks
Steve
Old 05-16-2008, 04:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by stevedolce
... the black rubber collar wont slide down far enough to secure the bar to the jack...
Steve--I have this rack on order through a local dealer; expecting it next week. I've been reading the install directions (toughstuffproducts.com/Instructions/hood_rack_inst.html), but can't figure out what problem you're describing. Any chance you could throw up a pic or two?
Old 05-16-2008, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use a zip tie or velcro strap. Put a piece of rubber, foam , or something else between the handle and the bar to keep it from rattling, or the above mentioned handle isolators if your worried about the aesthetics of your jack.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:34 AM
JK Super Freak

that's sorta the problem.the handle isolator doesn't fit. the bracket that holds the jack on prevents the isolator from sliding down far enough to grab the handle..
Old 05-16-2008, 11:57 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by OlegFl
I'm not sure exactly what your talking about... but I think your talking about the big rubber thing you buy extra (for like $10-15) to keep the handle from moving. I have it and have no problem with it... You have to remove the triangle thing that is held with one bolt from your hi-lift. Than just push the rubber thing down... it can be tight the first time but it will go. Than put the triangle thing back. I mounted my hi-lift on the rollbar so it get's a lot of wind. The rubber thing hasn't budged yet and it's been on highways going 70+ mph. Sorry for the crappy explanation... don't know what all these parts are called.
Hey Oleg! How do you have yours mounted on your roll bar? Thanks!
Old 05-16-2008, 12:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Yeah I had the same problem with my tough stuff rack and rubber handle isolator.

The jack lays flat against the rack leaving no room for the handle keeper.

I wound up just using a really small black bungee cord.

It was on my TJ, but it sounds like yours is the same style rack.

Last edited by zerodown; 05-16-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:06 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by OlegFl
Check this thread out...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=lift+rollbar

That's exactly how mine looks. My rig is in the garage 2 blocks away so I can't take any pix now. I don't know how to weld. I went to Home Depot... got 2 very long bolts (forgot the size, around 12 inched or so) drilled 2 perfect holes in the rollbar, put the nuts on and magic! Very easy and took less than an hour. 2 Things though... #1 make sure theholes are perfect size, If they are larger than the bolt... the hi-lift will shake, #2 make sure you make it so you have clearance for the hard top in the winter. I did this about 2 weeks ago... NO issues.
Thanks man!
Old 05-16-2008, 01:27 PM
JK Super Freak

yes!!this is exactly the problem! the jack lays on the rack & i can slide the rubber thing far enough to grab the jack handle!

anyone fix this? or do i just macgyver it?
Old 05-16-2008, 01:36 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by stevedolce
yes!!this is exactly the problem! the jack lays on the rack & i can slide the rubber thing far enough to grab the jack handle!

anyone fix this? or do i just macgyver it?
Would a zip-tie work to secure the handle? Just carry a spare in case you do have to cut it to use the jack (not a bad thing to have a few zip-ties when off-roading, anyway).
Old 05-16-2008, 08:49 PM
JK Newbie

I have the tuff stuff rack on my JK and I have the exact same problem. I bought some of the big thick zip ties and cinched those up so tight that the handle does not vibrate, rattle, and they are plenty strong to hold it. Then I just carry a couple extra with me. The down side to that mounting position is that it blocks my windshield washer fluid sprayers. But, I love the way it looks and I like having it mounted out of my way.

Quick Reply: hi lift jack hood mount help